Unisaw 34-761 help needed

Scott Meggison

Hello to everyone, I am new to WoodTalk Forum. Looks like a great spot to talk wood and learn new stuff.

I just bought a Unisaw model 34-761 at an auction. 3hp, 3phase w/phase convertor. $300 out the door, in decent shape. Just got it unloaded into my shop and will be pulling wire for it. I am looking for a manual and found a site that has parts. My problem is that they list model #34-761  Type I thru Type 4  I am not sure what the differences are between the Types. Any help would be appreciated. Also need a manual/parts list.

Thanks in advance for any help

Scott 

Unisaw 01.jpg

Unisaw model.jpg

Hello and welcome!

What are your plans for the saw, are you going to completely rebuild it, or just get it clean enough to start using it? 

Either way you should check out owwm.org (old wood working machines). They know everything about these saws and will be able to help you a great deal. I am personally not familiar with the different types of this exact model. At some point they started putting the bearings into the arbor a little differently and the lock nuts on the wheels worked differently, those are pretty much the only real differences in the unisaw models though. 

BTW, you definitely should consider replacing the bearings in there as they likely have not been touched since it was made. What you have there is the "peace sign" rockwell unisaw which puts the saw build in the 70s to early 80s if I remember correctly. Looking up the serial number on owwm.com unisaw information area will give you an exact year though. 

Thanks to all who responded. I have since found that the saw was made in 1980 by the Tupelo division. this is per wiki.vintagemachinery.org

Brendon_t  Not sure about the trap door. It is what it is. Still not sure about the "Type 1-4".  The saw came with a vfd by Niagara Electric. I will be pulling a 220vac line to feed the vfd. 

Minorhero  My heart says to plug my "New Toy" in and play with it. My head says replace the arbor bearings and belts while I have the top off. I looked at some instructions on The Saw Center and it looks like it will be fairly easy. I will post more pix as I go

Link belts are not a good option for this machine. They will not eat and kill a cast iron pulley but the zinc/potmetal pulleys usually used on the motors will get torn up over time by link belts. Cogged belts however have the advantages of linked belts for anti-vibration without their damaged effects. Additionally modern belts are made within tolerances that exceed the older ones. "Matched" belts are no longer needed. Just appropriate sized belts.

Check out this website for more information on disassembling the arbor bearings. 

http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/how to properly clean a unisaw.ashx

I think Mat60 was being sarcastic. I've run linkbelts on 3hp machines with steel pulleys for over a decade with no signs of wear. I do have adequate dust collection. Is it the spoil that wears on things? Plywood ZCI's certainly wear out from the abrasion over time. Maybe the wear mentioned was similar(?).

I put linkbelts on a contractor saw & my jointer & they reduced vibration tremendously. The saw also had slippage problems that the linkbelt took care of. Put em on the drill press & they did nothing for it.

I've since been educated that good quality conventional or cogged belts are a better solution, but no personal experience there.

• Like 1

Well I finally got the arbor off and apart. I watched several vids and they helped. The one thing I am not sure of is some of the vids referred to spacers and washers next to the arbor pulley. My unit only had 2 same size spacers on each side. Is this a normal variation or am I missing something? I have new belts and bearing ordered. both pulleys are steel not pot metal, so that is good.

Saw arbor 01.jpg

Saw arbor 02.jpg