Ridgid R4512 Problem

SAAC

I recently purchased a new table saw and with lots of research I went wi the Ridgid R4512. I recently also purchased a new house with a detached 3 car garage that I wired for my workmshop. I made the mistake of putting all the outlets but a couple on one circuit. So when I run my vaccum while using my new saw everything drops in power for a seconds. So I decided to convert to 220v and use my decated outlet. Worst decision ever. I lost tons of power and it took me over 1 minute to rip a 2x4. I called Ridgid this morning and told me that I had only owned the saw for a month and they told me to return it and get another, which I've done. New saw is all together and now I'm dealing with the power drop, because I'm nervous about cutting the cord and converting the saw to 220v again. Has any one else had this issue? Or does any one have any advice. If I convert and it does it again, I guess I'll have to go to Laguna or Powermatic. I'd hate to spend that kind of money because I like the Ridgid. My first saw was a Ryobi contractor saw that I got 10 years ago. The Ridgid is light years ahead of it. 

Please, any help would be great. 

I recently purchased a new table saw and with lots of research I went wi the Ridgid R4512. I recently also purchased a new house with a detached 3 car garage that I wired for my workmshop. I made the mistake of putting all the outlets but a couple on one circuit. So when I run my vaccum while using my new saw everything drops in power for a seconds. So I decided to convert to 220v and use my decated outlet. Worst decision ever. I lost tons of power and it took me over 1 minute to rip a 2x4. I called Ridgid this morning and told me that I had only owned the saw for a month and they told me to return it and get another, which I've done. New saw is all together and now I'm dealing with the power drop, because I'm nervous about cutting the cord and converting the saw to 220v again. Has any one else had this issue? Or does any one have any advice. If I convert and it does it again, I guess I'll have to go to Laguna or Powermatic. I'd hate to spend that kind of money because I like the Ridgid. My first saw was a Ryobi contractor saw that I got 10 years ago. The Ridgid is light years ahead of it. 

Please, any help would be great. 

I haven't upgraded my 4512 yet, but I also haven't had any trouble with it on 110v. I'd recommend fixing your shop wiring first, and dealing with the saw second. Run a couple more small circuits, I like having outlets alternating between circuits, so I can split tools without running extension cords. Go for 20amp wiring while your at it, its a few bucks more in wire, but means a lot less chance of power loss. I have 4 20amp circuits and 2 15amp circuits in my one car garage. Once you've started, there's not much reason to avoid overkill.

I need to run 220 at some point, but I probably won't run it just to upgrade my Ridgid.

I'm in the same boat as @BonPacific - I'm running my R4512 on 120V, although I do have a dedicated 20A circuit for it. I've had no issues with it so I couldn't see why I would bother going to 240V (since in theory it should be basically the same power IF the 120V circuit had sufficient capacity). It sounds like the initial issue with the vacuum being on the same circuit is that it was starving the saw - it should be on a dedicated circuit.

Good luck if you try it again. I agree that it sounds like it was wired incorrectly, or your 220V circuit is really supplying 120V.

38 minutes ago, BonPacific said:

I haven't upgraded my 4512 yet, but I also haven't had any trouble with it on 110v. I'd recommend fixing your shop wiring first, and dealing with the saw second. Run a couple more small circuits, I like having outlets alternating between circuits, so I can split tools without running extension cords. Go for 20amp wiring while your at it, its a few bucks more in wire, but means a lot less chance of power loss. I have 4 20amp circuits and 2 15amp circuits in my one car garage. Once you've started, there's not much reason to avoid overkill.

I need to run 220 at some point, but I probably won't run it just to upgrade my Ridgid.

That is what I was thinking while I was writing the first post.  And rewiring wouldn't be too bad I guess, other than the fact that I'm dealing with a 700 sqft shop that I've now insulated and put 1/2 inch plywood over and shelving and cabinets over that. I suppose I could fish another wire on a dedicated circuit from the ceiling, and use a old construction box. 

I already have wired for 20 amp circuits other than the lights, there on 15 amp. 

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this mess, or if it was just me. If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all. 

I have to ask. You did switch the wires around inside the motor? Also you have it plugged into a 220 circuit? It should have never dropped in power. Running the motor in 220 will probably be better for it in the long run, I've read that they are slightly more efficent (don't know if it's true or not). Voltage drop will for sure be less of an issue though.

11 hours ago, drzaius said:

Sounds like you rewired the saw to 240V, but the dedicated outlet was still 120V. That would cause the exact, precise symptoms you described.

You could always run surface conduit for more circuits.

That's exactly what I have done. I rechecked. And I ran a 4 prong plug when it called for a 3 prong to a 3 prong 200v outlet. 

As soon as I read your post, it clicked.

Thank you 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SAAC said:

That's exactly what I have done. I rechecked. And I ran a 4 prong plug when it called for a 3 prong to a 3 prong 200v outlet. 

As soon as I read your post, it clicked.

Thank you 

Sounds like that's the case you were using one hot leg and neutral still due to the four prong plug.

For adding more outlets you can always surface mount conduit or drop it from the ceiling.

Alternatively you can put in a ceiling outlet or two in the middle and use a locking plug to hang an extension cord down. As long as you don't have kids that will swing on them....

2 hours ago, AJ_Engineer said:

Sounds like that's the case you were using one hot leg and neutral still due to the four prong plug.

For adding more outlets you can always surface mount conduit or drop it from the ceiling.

Alternatively you can put in a ceiling outlet or two in the middle and use a locking plug to hang an extension cord down. As long as you don't have kids that will swing on them....

Hahaha, I've already thought about the hanging outlets, unfortunately I do have kids and one of the 3 would definitely be trying to swing from the damn thing. 

UPDATE!

I wired the tablesaw to 240v wired the right outlet and put on the new plug and the tablesaw is a monster. There is quite a noticeable difference. Thanks everyone for your help and thoughts.