Lathe Assistance

Isaac

I picked up a used Palmgren Lathe a few weeks back on craigslist to begin my turning career. I was using it earlier today when I heard a strange noise, like something slipping and then a bad smell followed. I shut it down and opened up the end where the noise and smell were coming from. I determined the bottom black round shaft was moving outward into the black plastic cover plate (the sound was the shaft rubbing against the plastic and the melting plastic was the source of the smell). 

IMG_20160917_103722411 (Large).jpg

Unfortunately, i don't really know enough about how these things work. I was able to tap that lower component back, and gave it a quick test run and could see it was creeping outward. 

Melted plastic impression:

IMG_20160917_103732692.jpg

Innards. The middle component controls the speed of the lathe, though I don't really understand how. Right now, I can't adjust the speed at all, it seems to be exclusively spinning at a fairly slow speed.

IMG_20160917_103749866_HDR (Large).jpg

Side view. 

IMG_20160917_103739533 (Large).jpg

Anyhow, I was hoping someone might be familiar with this set up (I've never opened up a lathe before, is this similar to man other models?) and know what I need to do to get it operable again. Thanks!

Look at the side of the large diameter part that is creeping out and rubbing the cover. Are there any recessed set screws that may have worked loose?

I am not very familiar with that lathe, but I think that pulley system is known as a 'Reeves drive'. One of the pulleys actuall slides its two sides apart or together to change its effective diameter and control the speed. I can't tell for sure, but the lower pulley seems like the moveable one, so perhaps there is a retainer missing, allowing it to move more than it should.
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the help guys. I did find a set screw, didn't seem especially loose, but after cranking down on it, the problem did seem to stop. I tightened up a few of the other accessible socket screws and bolts and it is actually running better than it has since I got it, the movement between RPMS is smoother. 

I'm not sure what the keys are though, what part is that, and if I am missing it, suggestions on how to figure out the size and where to get a new one?

Thanks again!