Hand plane question

bigbuttjoints

So I decided to buy some old stanley bailey planes off eBay, I bought a no 3 to restore and then bought what I thought was a no 5 but realized it was a 5 1/4. Not knowing the difference, I cancelled the order and bought a no 5. Did I make a good choice as I am new to woodworking. What is the difference in these two planes?

Thanks

"#5 1/4 Jack plane, 11 1/2"L, 1 3/4"W, 3 3/4lbs, 1921-1983.

This is a smaller jack plane designed for manual training in school. It is often called the "junior jack plane". Nevertheless, it's still a very useful plane for us adults (and those who pretend to be). The planes eventually found favor by others, and it became rather popular, as indicated by its offering into the 1980's. The models made during the 1920's are more difficult to find than the later examples.

These planes are often found in a condition that looks as if they were on the wrong end of a bar room brawl. The punks of America, serving time during their plane tutelage, did their very best to make the planes scream UNCLE! Such mistreatment shouldn't happen to a dog."

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm#num5.25

As a beginner (or anyone else starting to build a collection) you would be better off buying a regular #5.  IMO

• Like 1

That what I figured, I'm hoping to find a decent no 4 as well, my grandpa gave me and old Stanley block plane that I plan on fixing up as well, I guess I should look for a no 7 as well? From what i read on here, most people seem to have a no 4 for smoothing, a no 5 for flattening and a no 7 for jointing or flattening really big boards, also a block plane for little tasks like flushing edge banding or rounding corners. Am I in the ballpark with this thinking?

I think the ideal starter set of planes for someone who will be using both power tools and hand tools is a #4, #5, #7, and a block plane.  That will cover all of your bases until you wanna get into more specific planes like joinery planes, or if you want to mill stock by hand (because you've lost your mind) a scrub plane, or if you want a dedicated shooting plane, maybe a LAJ or a true shooter like the Veritas.

• Like 2

Are you building anything right now? Do you have a shop?  Do you have some basic machines? Table saw, Jointer, Band saw, Drill press, work bench that's stable Planer and the list goes on.  Buy the tools that you need to do basic woodwork, then buy tools as the need arises. Having a small collection of planes is nice, but if you have no place to use them, then why?  Get basic first, then add as needed!

• Like 1

I have all the basics, drills, Circ saw, smaller older model craftsman table saw, sliding compound miter saw, no router yet, I have a massive tool box filled with all the mechanic tools you could need, I was a refrigeration mechanic for a while (don't know how useful they will be for woodworking) I'm currently working out of the mechanic shop we have on the farm, have a very sturdy work bench that my grandpa built out of oak in the 60s, it's not a permanent solution, but until I get my shop built in a few months then I have no room for the bigger tools. Just trying to get my feet wet in finer work. I have made a few projects already that really got me wanting to do more. Very simple stuff like a computer desk and a matching bed made out of box store pine and held together with pocket screws and glue.

10 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

BBJ, welcome to the forum. Would like to see the work bench your grandpa built. I have friends from Church Point and Frog City and they take their tools pretty serious! Is there an x in your last name? 

It's by no means a robou or anything just a really sturdy work bench that spans one wall of the shop, has 6x6 legs and true 2x6 butted together to form the top with a regular vice on one end. I don't have an x in my last name lol, my grandpa is of Irish heritage and my grandma is Cajun. 

• Like 1

I bought a Stanley 5 1/4  for cheap $ on EBay a couple of years ago and restored it to near new condition. Gave it to my daughter (she's 38 Y/O) for Christmas. It was the first hand plane that she could call her very own. She now has 4 hand planes. An old Stanley 220 block plane. A Stanley #4 smoother and a Veritas L/A smoother. The 5 1/4 is still her go to plane. (I know this because I have to sharpen her irons for her "LOL") 

6 hours ago, 4square said:

I bought a Stanley 5 1/4  for cheap $ on EBay a couple of years ago and restored it to near new condition. Gave it to my daughter (she's 38 Y/O) for Christmas. It was the first hand plane that she could call her very own. She now has 4 hand planes. An old Stanley 220 block plane. A Stanley #4 smoother and a Veritas L/A smoother. The 5 1/4 is still her go to plane. (I know this because I have to sharpen her irons for her "LOL") 

Sounds like it's time for a Horsebutt christmas!