Problem with Indian rosewood

BarbaraTX

I have a gray-stained Indian rosewood table that is staining mysteriously.  I will find dark, oily looking spots that I can't remove.  This table is used for occasional drinks, but the glass never comes into direct contact with the wood.  One time, I got a crayon mark on it that won't come out.  These stains are probably some kind of oil.  I have two coats of Minwax on the table, but it's not preventing this problem.  Is this a challenge with oily woods?  Should I refinish it? Thanks!

Rosewood.jpg

I just figured out what my coffee table is made of !  It's a carved and kind of poorly constructed imported piece that a client gave me. One look at the sissoo close up pictures and I knew what it was. The wood has a semi oily/waxy character. If the gray top was mine I would either sand, scrape or strip the finish & stain off and refinish leaving the natural wood colors showing.

aside, Indian Rosewood is one of those marketing terms, I think.  A lot of furniture sold as "indian rosewood" is actually sheesham, or north indian rosewood.  It is not really rosewood, or at least nothing like the south american  or east indian rosewoods.

That's true, but real East Indian Rosewood does exist, and it's a true rosewood, and it's beautiful.  It's not as amazing as Brazilian Rosewood (what is?) but it's still nice.  And if it has paint or gray stain or whatever on top of it, it's a crying shame.  If it's one of the knock-off rosewoods, then I agree...who cares.  No way to find out unless you get the schmutz off of it.

http://www.wood-database.com/east-indian-rosewood/

Here's a bowl I turned of E. Indian Rosewood.

DSC_0059_1.jpg

I had a cold drink on a place mat.  That's the only thing it could be.   I don't use a mouse with my computer.  The problem existed before I applied the wax.  I showed the photo to someone at Home Depot who refinishes furniture.  He had never seen anything like those stains.  I've decided to start with mineral spirits to remove the wax.  Who knows?  It may remove the stains.  If not, I may go ahead and remove the finish to the bare wood--either by sanding alone or with a stripper.  Not looking forward to that. 

10 hours ago, Infinity Tools said:

No Love for Sissoo? It is a Dalbergia and actually grows down here in central/south Florida. I have saw milled quite a bit of it. Most all the imported furniture I see made from it is what I personally would throw in the burn pile. The good stuff especially when QS or rift is beautiful and works well. Here are a couple pics, first is a saw handle I made and second are some panels on a workbench I made a few years ago form "scrap" sissoo. I actually pulled the wood for the panels out of the firewood pile.

Andrew

I love how you have a bottle opener on your bench LOL!  This here is a man who has his priorities in line.

• Like 2