Yet Another Shop Layout Question...

tedfmcm

Hey all, nearing the end of my big tool purchases and have a question on layout.  Been using the below for about 2 years now and it's worked ok, but wanted to get peoples thoughts on the layout, particularly since i plan to add a lathe and router table to my arsenal soon.  Overall it's 26 x 11 foot shop in the basement and most of the tools are on wheels.  I eventually want to run ducting for the dust collector but don't mind wheeling it around for now.

I dont have a dedicated miter station in the plan, but would be ok moving that onto the outfeed table if it saved floor space...plan to do that with my spindle sander already.

Any thoughts? - Thanks, Ted

layout.JPG

If you did as Kev said above you could mount the router lift to the right of the table saw. The cast iron wing is a great idea but a nice thick plywood top can be just as good. I have 2 router tables one is on my table saw and it's awesome there the mass of the saw makes it awesome to use. I don't like your grinder location but i can't think of a better one. If it were me i'd get a bench top one and store it away and lift it out when i need it. It's not a heavily used item for me though and my shop is small. Not Cochese tiny but just regular small.

I have a narrow shop, and for me there are work flow issues with your diagram.  I use my miter saw, jointer and planer for my initial wood break down.  So I would swap the planer and drill press, and move the lathe to where you have your band saw.  Move the jointer to the wall where your finishing cabinet is now located.  Pull your table saw/out feed table back to where your bench is and then put your bench on the other side of the out feed table so it is perpendicular to and aligned with the outside edge of the out feed table.  Its early so I don't know if that makes sense. Here's a picture:

door.JPG

For several years I had my router in my table saw extension.  I really hated it.  Too many setup changes, and if I was doing a routing "marathon" the height really hurt my back.  I still have space limitations in this shop so I built a miter saw/ router station on one wall.  This gave me additional storage, and eliminated 2 tools that would normally take up floor space.  Hope this helps.

Tools.JPG