Hanging tool cabinet

Rick N

I almost bought those box clamps, but the reviews were horrid. How do you think they are?

Cabinet looks good btw.

They are one of those tools that I bought when I first started. They went into a drawer and I forgot about them till I saw a picture of somebody else using them. They definitely work but It is hard to see if the joint is actually closed since they cover it up. I also think the adjustment is awkward as you have to use an Alan key to adjust for thickness. I would not buy them again as I think the rockler clamp it assembly squares would be much more flexible.

• Like 1

9bc9bfe2924d5f58dc6e131bb698be74.jpg

Got the sides done yesterday and frame. Nothing is glued up yet as I still have to plane and sand all the surfaces. I started cutting the grooves for the panel and decided I didn't want to use router because the 1/4 bit is way to big for the 1/4 plywood, and I don't have the undersized bits. So I used my tablesaw thin Kerf blade using two passes. Of course I messed up one of the good pieces and now it is way too wide. So I spent the rest of the night looking at the veritas small plow plane. I just really don't like using the router for grooves. Just feels like the setup never is very accurate and takes to long for small amounts of work. It is hard to justify $275 for something I already can do!

Thanks

• Like 1

That is really coming along now Rick.  For edge grooves a router plane suffers from the same problems an electric router does; stable support surface area and an edge guide.  When I get caught having to route an edge where I can't bring the part to the tool I clamp additional stock to the keeper to create a larger bearing surface.

Good call on using the tablesaw. Just rip a piece of scrap and glue it into the too-large groove.  Then re-cut a good groove as before.  Grooves with a router are very quick and easy at the router table.  Undersize router bits are nice to have but, the difference in thicknesses of ply make them only partially useful.  I often use the tablesaw when grooving for sheet goods. Stopped grooves are another story.

• Like 1

For edge grooves a router plane suffers from the same problems an elevtric router does; stable support surface area and an edge guide.  When I get caught having to route an edge where I can't bring the part to the tool I clamp additional stock tothe keeper to create a larger bearing surface.

Good call on using the tablesaw. Just rip a piece of scrap and glue it into the too-large groove.  Then re-cut a good groove as before.  Grooves with a router are very quick and easy at the router table.  Undersize router bits are nice to have but, the difference in thicknesses of ply make them only partially useful.  I often use the tablesaw when grooving for sheet goods. Stopped grooves are another story.

Thanks, great advice! My tablesaw doesn't take a dado blade so I have always avoided using it but when it worked it was perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

Made some progress today and got the panels in.

39010216dfba90a0c3c54e4524d45238.jpg

I am prepping all the panels before I glue them up and I am getting terrible tear out from my smoothing plane. So I sharpened it and still having the same issue. I know I am going with the grain and taking really light passes. Unfortunately I just went the sanding route and went through the grits and filled the tear out with timbermate. Let me know anybody has any suggestions. I really hate sanding

0813984ca4ca8285d6f854be96029466.jpg

Yeah that is some nasty tear out... unfortunately,  sometimes there is just no getting it gone without a tooling change. If I'm getting tear out I can't control with a smoother, I move up to the LAJP at 38° the 50° edge does pretty good.

I'm a pretty huge sanding hater myself and I threw some money at the problem recently. The new EC sander and midi made me feel a lot better * )

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rick N said:

I know I am going with the grain

Not so sure about that.  I wouldn't expect to get that kind of tearout planing with the grain unless I swapped out my plane iron for a butter knife...even then probably not.

Are you sure you know which direction you were supposed to be planing?  Walnut is a pretty agreeable species under the knife and I don't see any weird grain or figure that would otherwise cause a problem.  I imagine you were indeed planing uphill.

Also make sure your iron is sharp.  And only sharp is sharp.  "Kind of sharp" is not good enough.

PS...don't use Timbermate to fill tearout.  Either fix the tearout or toss the boards into the burn pile and consider it the cost of a learning experience.  You're gonna hate the way that looks, I promise.

• Like 1

I have very limited experience with a smoother but is your mouth tight on it? Also I would try planing in the other direction to see if it work better. Every once in a while I'll have a board that does better going against the grain rules for jointing and planing - don't know why but it just happened this weekend. 

I'm with Eric that Timbermate would look like crap. You could try epoxy mixed with sawdust but my guess it won't look that great either and I surely wouldn't use your plane after that. Epoxy with sawdust works decent for small repairs and yours look pretty wide and will probably stick out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

PS...don't use Timbermate to fill tearout.  Either fix the tearout or toss the boards into the burn pile and consider it the cost of a learning experience.  You're gonna hate the way that looks, I promise.

Sad experience has taught me that filler is almost always the worst remedy. Leaving a gaping gouge usually looks better than filler.

• Like 2

I agree with the others something is amiss here you should not be getting that kind of tear out from a smother especially on walnut. I would look at the posts above for some good advice on what to check.

Cabinet is coming along great. Take the time to figure this out it will be the difference between a nice cabinet and an amazing cabinet.

First off, that thing is looking great. 

I would have to see the end grain to know if you are really going with the grain or not but, I doubt it.

grain-and-plane.jpg

If all else fails increase your iron angle.  I have a 50 degree that I keep around for my BU smoother for difficult material.  However, I don't really see anything (fomr here) about that grain that looks difficult.

Two words: card scraper.

No tear out and less sanding. You just have to make sure you've properly sharpened it first and it will make you life a lot easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I started with a card scraper and just keep getting sawdust. For some reason I can't get a scraper to work. I just tried it again and can't get shavings. I will keep watching videos to get it right.

The plane is definitely sharp as that is the first thing I did after the problem. I am using pmv11 blade with mk2 at 4000 and 8000 to a Mirror finish plus the back.

I was thinking about buying the scraper blade for the LAJP is anybody using that?

I will try the other direction for the grain and update tonight.

58 minutes ago, Rick N said:

The plane is definitely sharp as that is the first thing I did after the problem. I am using pmv11 blade with mk2 at 4000 and 8000 to a Mirror finish plus the back.

You told us "smoothing plane" but didn't mention if it was a bench plane or low angle.  If you have a low angle smoother and you're using the bevel angle that comes stock from the factory, that would be the culprit.  A low angle blade is good for end grain and not much else.  You'll need to buy a second blade or grind a much higher bevel to tackle long grain without tearout.

If you're using a bevel down bench plane, disregard the above comments.

• Like 1