Recreation of vintage newell caps

Elmwood

Greetings.  I am restoring a circa 1892 Victorian house.  One of the items I need to recreate is the original newell post caps of the quarter sawn white oak staircase.  I am missing three of the five caps.  I have searched the web but have been unable to locate caps of the same design, and I wish to preserve the design.  The main newell post is larger than the others and is missing its cap.  However, I thought I would first focus on the two smaller caps.  An image is attached.

As you can see it is sort of a pyramid, with an ogee profile imposed over the four visible faces.  Immediately below is a piece of molding, and then 1-1/4" or so below is another band of molding.  I am not presently worried about the molding though eventually I will be.  The cap is 4-3/4" square by 1-5/8" high.

I have a contractor grade belt drive table saw and a lunchbox thickness planer.  I have basic familiarity with power tools from construction projects but have little to no woodworking experience.  I did recreate a custom door threshhold using bits of the procedure I am about to propose for the newell caps, using my table saw, hammer, hand planer, and random orbit sander.

I would create a study of the caps first before proceeding in quarter sawn oak, using a scrap piece of 2x6 material, thicknessing to what I imagine would be raw 7/4 stock thickness in oak.

I would make a series of rip cuts in the stock, each separated by 1/8" and with progressively deeper cuts, to get me close to the ogee profile for two opposing faces by wasting material with the blade kerf.  I would take advantage of symmetry to minimize fence/blade height changes.  I would repeat this procedure using cross cuts for the remaining two ogee profiles for both caps out of the same piece of stock.  I would crosscut to separate the two caps from each other.   I would then waste away the remaining bulk of the waste using a hammer to knock the columns out. 

At this point I am unsure what to do to remove the remaining nubs.  Is this chisel work? Is there some sort of specialty hand planer to do this?  My chisel skills are not great...

Once the nubs are gone I envision hand planing to finish.

Thoughts/guidance are appreciated.

How would they have made this originally?  Shaper?

newell_cap.JPG

Edited by Elmwood
spelling/clarity

I would use a band saw. Start with a sacrificial block that has the same height and width as your newel cap and attach your oak to the block. Sacrificial block could be a solid piece or a hollow box made out of plywood . You can attach your oak temporarily with double sided tape. With the box acting as the reference against the table of the band saw you can cut the curved profile on the two opposing sides. Once you have the profile roughed out you can refine the shape with sanding and a rasp.

• Like 1

Thanks to each of you for your responses.  I'm having a little trouble visualizing the band saw technique espoused by Andy Wright, though I think I get it.  Will double sided tape really hold during band sawing?  I don't have a band saw but might have a friend who has one. wtnhighlander, the large block idea is a good one.  Concerning the router bit, I had initially looked for a router bit as well as a shaper bit, because that is how I imagined that the cap must have been made, but I didn't find any ogee bits that met the depth requirement.  Everything seemed to be for shallower profiles.  Maybe it's a combination of bits though...

Mkrusen, I am in Rhode Island.  The nearest architectural salvage shop used to be New England Demolition and Salvage in New Bedford, MA.  I looked there at least a dozen times, and now they've closed.  I've also looked in a Boston shop whose name escapes me.  I am not aware of others in the area.

Aj3--I agree about the shape; (deceptively?) simple and elegant.  I've not seen a newel cap like these. 

I know I wrote that I visualized finishing it up with hand planing but I meant hand sanding.  Using a belt sander is an interesting idea if I can control how quickly it wastes material...

When I first conceived of doing this I thought about somehow trying the table saw cove cutting technique to create the shape.

Thanks again, you've all given me some good ideas to explore.

11 hours ago, Elmwood said:

Thanks to each of you for your responses.  I'm having a little trouble visualizing the band saw technique espoused by Andy Wright, though I think I get it.  Will double sided tape really hold during band sawing?  I don't have a band saw but might have a friend who has one

Here is a visual aid for what I described. You can buy double sided tape that will definitely be strong enough for the band saw cut

http://m.woodcraft.com/Product/15D28/DOUBLE-FACE-TAPE-1-X-36-YDS.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAjwgo6_BRC32q6_5s2R-R8SJAB7hTG-yoP1X6grFr5u_FI_0PxjUSaehaCYw8l7wmEt97OdNhoCnrXw_wcB

Other options would be to use glue (hot glue is a good temporary option) or if you build a hollow plywood box you can use screws from the inside just be careful to position them so you won't hit them with the blade

IMG_20160921_092450392.jpg