Hand me down planes

bigbuttjoints

So my grandfather gave me a couple of block planes because he knows I want to get into woodworking. They haven't been used in quite a long time. They are both Stanley block planes, one has the number 102 on it but sadly has a crack on one side of the mouth. The other is a very small, like palm of my hand small. I've never seen one in videos or anything, seems like a very useful tool. The only number I can see on the body is what I believe to be "C 7". The blade says Stanley made in USA. Can anyone help me date it or at least tell me a little something about it? Thank allIMG_0655.JPG

For some reason this is the only photo it will let me upload. It says upload failed

4 minutes ago, Jim Harvey said:

That would be a great Apron Pocket plane.

Just now, Immortan D said:

Block planes always come in handy. I'd fix it.

it was in a toolbox on shelf, the rust in only surface rust and the blade is actually pretty sharp, i put a chamfer on a piece of cypress just messing around and it actually cut really good. I'm gonna get it back up and going at least for the sentimental value

• Like 2

I have Lie Nielsen #s 102 and 103, and aside from my smoother, they get more use than any of my others.  Lie Nielsens are all based on the old Stanleys, BTW...so they're very similar.  Comfortable and very handy little planes,  I use them constantly to break edges and flush small parts.

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/small-block-planes

thumbnail%2Cw_500%2Ch_500%2Cm_a.jpg

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 4:08 AM, bigbuttjoints said:

So my grandfather gave me a couple of block planes because he knows I want to get into woodworking. They haven't been used in quite a long time. They are both Stanley block planes, one has the number 102 on it but sadly has a crack on one side of the mouth. The other is a very small, like palm of my hand small. I've never seen one in videos or anything, seems like a very useful tool. The only number I can see on the body is what I believe to be "C 7". The blade says Stanley made in USA. Can anyone help me date it or at least tell me a little something about it? Thank all

Cracked or not, it's still worth fixing up. My Stanley #4 still has a cracked mouth (thanks Ebay) and I still use the crap out of it. I just learned to don't ask it to plane birdseye maple or bloodwood  anymore.