Its my walnut

mat60

I ordered 65bf of 5/4 select/better ruff kd walnut for a big table top. They charged me $3.73 a bf delivered  Good deal. I just call Goodfellows again today to order 50bf more and the guy tells me that I got a hell of a deal because he made a mistake. He said it should have been $5.79 a bf and don't tell anyone. Should I feel guilty and send them the difference?

I don't know. I might go back and give him the difference. It's kind of like when a cashier gives you an extra twenty in your change. It's good karma to give it back.

At the very least, I would buy all my lumber there for the foreseeable future.

47 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

It's like 13$ here !

I paid $12.855/BF for 4/4 S2S walnut yesterday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mat60 said:

I ordered 65bf of 5/4 select/better ruff kd walnut for a big table top. They charged me $3.73 a bf delivered  Good deal. I just call Goodfellows again today to order 50bf more and the guy tells me that I got a hell of a deal because he made a mistake. He said it should have been $5.79 a bf and don't tell anyone. Should I feel guilty and send them the difference?

If they charged you too much and you didn't catch it when paying, do you honestly think they would call you and tell you?

If it's bothering you, offer to pay him the difference. That way whether he accepts or not, your conscience is cleared. I'm the same way about things. I used to justify stuff like that a lot with things like, "Well it was their mistake!" but there is something to be said for maintaining integrity and wanting to conduct yourself with fairness and mercy.

Hell, I've driven 30 minutes back to a store before when I realized that they gave me an extra dollar in change. Sometimes my wife gives me that "are we really doing this?" look but she gets it. I'm often surprised by the store's reaction when I walk back in to make a situation like this right--they are usually completely baffled and wonder why I bothered for such a small thing. To me, it doesn't matter the gravity of the 'thing'... doing the right thing always feels better.

• Like 1

It's $120, I would keep going back and it will even out. Ive had $1+ lumberyard errors on 500-1000bdft orders, which still was nothing to them. There was some pained regret in my rep's voice over the phone, but they honored the price. I give them all my business. Assuming this isnt a Matt Cremona one man lumber business, $120 shouldnt even be a blip on their radar.

I am kind of like Dave, what goes around can come around.  The other day I was in my lumber store and along with the stuff I had on my rack, I told them I wanted a sheet of their 5x5 birch ply which is stacked right by the door and I would grab it on my way out.  Loaded everything in my truck and then realized they hadn't charged me for the ply.  I felt like I had stolen it :huh:   I went back in and paid.

• Like 2

I got a saying.. there is a sucker born every minute, and if you don't take advantage of an opportunity when you get the chance - you are that sucker.

A little heartless, but this society is engineered to screw you, if you can get ahead every once in a while you should be happy. 

20 minutes ago, Cliff said:

I got a saying.. there is a sucker born every minute, and if you don't take advantage of an opportunity when you get the chance - you are that sucker.

A little heartless, but this society is engineered to screw you, if you can get ahead every once in a while you should be happy. 

I'll admit, that was my first inclination. But then every time you go back to the lumber yard you're "that guy". In the long run you might get the best deal if you play clean.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, davewyo said:

I'll admit, that was my first inclination. But then every time you go back to the lumber yard you're "that guy". In the long run you might get the best deal if you play clean.

That is a good point. Considering that.. yeah I'd probably go offer to pay. They may say "no it was our mistake." but they'd have respect for you

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ronn W said:

If you are asking the question you probably should, at least make the offer.

My take on this:  In the end, your integrity is everything.

In the end, you are just gone and nobody remembers you. Integrity or not! 

Sincerely,

CHEER SQUAD.

In college I worked at a small gas station.  All prices were entered manually without a scanner.  Many times in the 4+ years I worked there, I caught myself accidentally entering and/or telling a customer a lower price than intended.  That lower price then became THE price.  I saw THAT as the right thing to do, and never expected the customer to volunteer the difference.

• Like 1

Walnut is 7.00 a BF here. #1 com is 4.29.  Seems like even with the second price, you got a good deal. 

As much as I love walnut, I am going to have a couple of logs I am buying this weekend milled up, and I will sticker it and let it dry. Eventually I will get to use it. This seems the best way to combat the high prices of good hardwood.

I still have 500 bdft of cherry Im using, so no hurry. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Mat, in my line of business, if I screw up and bid too low, I honor my bid, and the customer expects me to do so. Get over it dude! Next time, you may be on bottom! 

I agree completely with you. But what if you had a scenario where you bid WAY low and missed it until after the fact. All of a sudden you get a call from the client and he says, "Hey, this price just doesn't seem right and I think I owe you more money." I'm sure you would never expect said client to make such a call or such an offer because it was YOUR mistake. You would still be in the right for honoring the price on your mistake (integrity, again) but how much better would you feel about doing business with said client in the future?

There have always been people who screw others and there will always be people who get screwed... but persons of integrity who live their life just trying to do the right thing and helping others to make sure they get their earned share as well are a rare bunch, but memorable.

• Like 2

This is business. He will forgive the mistake because it is his. He is banking on keeping your business and he wins through goodwill. Knowing you underpaid does not somehow morally obligate you. You ordered what you ordered based on the price. You may have passed entirely or ordered far less than you did if the price had been higher. Most of the responses are not not figuring the option to pass on the sale, they are just counseling to maintain the relationship. Continuing to buy from him down the road puts profit in his pocket. The only way I pay more is if it was a one off from a widow etc. From a business I just keep returning to support the business. 

• Like 2