Cupping Table top fix?

byegge

Hey everyone, I have a table top that is one solid piece of beech that is 54"*14".it has a slight cup and slight twist. I don't have a planer wide enough to make a sled to flatten it. I have seen a video online that shows someone using a circular saw to cut shallow groves down the length of the board starting and stopping about an inch from the edge. This makes sense to me and is the route I plan on going unless you guys think it won't work. 

Just now, Mike. said:

Yeah that is a bad idea.  You don't want to force a board flat.

Do you have a tablesaw and jointer (or good with handplanes)?  If so you can rip the board in half, flatten the board, rejoint the edge and glue.  

I could rip it in half and re glue. I don't have a jointer, but do have a jointer plane. Although I'm relatively new to hand planes. I found a deal on it and couldn't let it go. I would like to keep the appearance of the solid piece of wood though 

I would rip, plane, and then reglue then..  Other than asking a cabinet shop to do the work for you, I don't see too many other alternatives. 

When you joint the edges with your hand plane, do both at the same time and position them face to face so if you have a tilt to your planning, they will be opposing angles and your joint will be good.

Ive seen that video before and walked away thinking "wtf...."

That isnt woodworking, that is being a monkey with a circular saw. If you can get a good rip(preferably with a bandsaw for kerf reasons), you should be able to glue the piece back together with very little difference in appearance. Take care when gluing the pieces back together to match up the grain and you will be good to go. Get used to machine limitations and workarounds. I have a 12" jointer and i just jointed a 13" board and a 12.5" board last night. Obviously there is a reason 36" planers and 24" jointers were manufactured, but sometimes you just need to make do with what you have. 

6 minutes ago, byegge said:

Not sure if I went about this the correct way but I started by taking off the high corners. The board is flat but seems like it would have been easier to flip the board and plane the middle flat instead of the sides. Anyway it's done 

That's the right way..