Worked for me

Mark J

I won't go so far as to call this a tip, but it worked for me.

I bought a Makita SCM eleven years ago and I love it, great saw, but it throws dust everywhere even with the Festool vac hooked up.  I was toying around with cardboard and stiff plastic sheet trying to come up with some sort of shroud without success.  Then I propped up the shop vac hose using one of the hold down clamps and shazam, pretty good dust collection.  Not perfect, but way better.  You do need to check before each cut that the vac hose clears the blade.

2016-09-18 12.15.42 (1).jpg2016-09-18 12.16.05 (1).jpg2016-09-18 12.16.38 (1).jpg

Good idea, Mark. Im sure you would get perfect dust collection with a two vac setup like that if you were able to attach a little shroud. Have you seen the sawstache by fastcap? Maybe worth a try.

https://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=53770&idcategory=28

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Heres a video of the sawstache on a mitre saw

So, a couple things I didn't like in the video..  

1.  I'd rather have my 0 clearance fence than great DC..  I can clean up dust, it's a pain to repair chip out.

2.  I didn't notice much difference in the amount of dust in the 2 tests..  Maybe I'm missing something??

This would not be a considered solution in my shop.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TIODS said:

So, a couple things I didn't like in the video..  

1.  I'd rather have my 0 clearance fence that great DC..  I can clean up dust, it's a pain to repair chip out.

2.  I didn't notice much difference in the amount of dust in the 2 tests..  Maybe I'm missing something??

This would not be a considered solution in my shop.

Same here. Didnt look like it made enough of a difference to bother with.

8 minutes ago, Cochese said:

I wonder how much of that is due to the Festool's already superior dust collection (so I've heard). I asked about it in another thread, for the ones that throw more dust around you might see a bigger difference.

So, I have the FT Kapex connected to a dedicated CT and although it does collect better than any other saw I've had, it's still not great.  Think about it, anything that doesn't make the chute doesn't get collected.  

I also believe that there's no such thing as "perfect" DC for a chop saw.  That being said, it comes down to "what's good enough".

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

I won't go so far as to call this a tip, but it worked for me.

I bought a Makita SCM eleven years ago and I love it, great saw, but it throws dust everywhere even with the Festool vac hooked up.  I was toying around with cardboard and stiff plastic sheet trying to come up with some sort of shroud without success.  Then I propped up the shop vac hose using one of the hold down clamps and shazam, pretty good dust collection.  Not perfect, but way better.  You do need to check before each cut that the vac hose clears the blade.

2016-09-18 12.15.42 (1).jpg2016-09-18 12.16.05 (1).jpg2016-09-18 12.16.38 (1).jpg

I have the same saw and have had reasonable results doing the same as you...just a pain to keep the hose in place, so I usually just connect it the normal way and hope for the best.

5 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Good idea, Mark. Im sure you would get perfect dust collection with a two vac setup like that if you were able to attach a little shroud. Have you seen the sawstache by fastcap? Maybe worth a try.

That's an interesting product.  I have to take a look at my saw and think about how that might work.  All the ideas I tried with cardboard, etc. got in the way of cutting big pieces.  The saw is 12" so I can cut through a 4 x 4.  

Other thing I noticed in the video is that when attached to the rubber guard, the Saw Stache tended to spread the guard apart from a tight U shape to a shallow C.  I think that might hurt the dust collection performance.  

3 hours ago, Gixxerjoe04 said:

I've made a makeshift thing like that before, need to build something more permanent.  It's ridiculous how much dust my miter saw throws out.  If it's nice outside I've been opening my garage door and setting up a fan to blow as much as i can outside.

3 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

I have the same saw and have had reasonable results doing the same as you...just a pain to keep the hose in place, so I usually just connect it the normal way and hope for the best.

Yup, I need to come up with something a little more durable and functional to hold the vacuum nozzle.  Plus I want the hold down back to hold down the work piece.  Also when I'm not cutting at 90 degrees the nozzle has to be removed.

4 hours ago, TIODS said:

I also believe that there's no such thing as "perfect" DC for a chop saw.  That being said, it comes down to "what's good enough".

Yup again.  Depends on the piece I'm cutting but I'd say I suck up 80 - 90% of the dust compared to 60% with just the Festool on the integrated dust port.