Two Short Clamps

Mark J

I have what I think is a goodly assortment of clamps ranging up to 4 feet in length, but no matter how long your clamps are there's bound to be a need for one that's longer.  

I had a 5 foot clamp job and was lamenting this fact to one of the guys at Woodcraft.  He suggested that I make a yoke from plywood.  The idea is probably not new, but I'll explain.  Take say a 2 feet long piece of plywood.  A few inches in from each end cut a rectangular hole big enough to accommodate the fixed jaw of a parallel clamp.  Now "link" two clamps together with the yoke.  Two 4 foot clamps can now span 9 feet, or more with a longer yoke.

I got home, looked at my project and said "that's a great idea, but I don't want to stop now and build a yoke".  So this is what I did:

2016-05-28 21.42.19.jpg

2016-05-28 21.44.27.jpg

You're limited in the amount of pressure you can exert by the capabilities of the quick clamp, but this was adequate for my needs.

The other trick that worked is seen at the bottom of the carcass.  I used the vertical divider as an intermediate clamping point.  Can't remember now why I used different clamping methods for the top and bottom, but I'm sure there was a very good reason -- just not a memorable one. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Llama said:

If you remove the jaw without the handle on one clamp, and reverse the jaws you can use the black piece on the clamps to connect them together.

I didn't try that, but I saw that the plastic parts would go together that way.  You are obviously using it to clamp something in your photo, so I gather it will it tolerate some pressure?

10 minutes ago, Mark J said:

tolerate some pressure

No issue at all. I did put three of them on there, really so I could stand them up but I'm sure the added clamping pressure didn't hurt. If you clamp too hard on them, the plastic thing will start to move. Just don't put gorilla force on them and you'll be fine.

I needed some serious pressure on clamping just over 8 ft long. They sell clamp extension couplings that fit the bar of several brands of parallel clamps. The bar slides into a heavy aluminum extrusion and a bolt goes through the hole on each clamp. A lot of my Bessey clamps predate the hole, drilling them is not fun, that bar is made f some tough steel.

A few months later I had to clamp just over 12 ft.  8 ft & 4 ft plus 2- 6 ft did the trick. I had tried extending pipe clamps but the flex & twist was too much.

19 hours ago, Llama said:

If you remove the jaw without the handle on one clamp, and reverse the jaws you can use the black piece on the clamps to connect them together.

Like this:

12476693_10209122373884649_651139661_o.jpg

Interesting, I just noticed that while my Jorgensen clamps can be linked tail to tail, the plastic end bit on my Jet clamps are not so designed.  

Have to look for those Bessy connectors.

14 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Good idea Mark.

@Llama I've been wondering how to use those plastic bits at the end for a long time.

I thought the prime purpose of the plastic end gizmos was to hold up the tail of the clamp when laid horizontally on a bench.  Say for clamping up a table top.