Hall Cabinet with Evolving Design

wnaziri

6 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

Did you mean "pre finishing"? 

Win shellac be the only finish, or are there additional steps in the schedule? That wood looks super awesome. Nice work

Yes, I did mean pre-finish.  

I did not catch the auto-correct last night as I was typing (and falling asleep:angry:).

I really haven't decided on the final finish.  I am tempted to whip out my HVLP and just do spray shellac for the final finish.  I just worry about the durability of just shellac for the top of the cabinet.  If I can't make up my mind, I will probably fall back on my usual finish which Satin ARS.

I would appreciate any other thoughts.  

Nice design you have going. Sapele is rivaling walnut as my favorite wood, in the appearance catagory, at least. I haven't worked with it yet.

Regarding the finish, I did a shaker side table a couple years back, finished with shellac, with an added top coat of poly, just on the top. The finish has held up quite well under daily use, with and without coasters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Nice design you have going. Sapele is rivaling walnut as my favorite wood, in the appearance catagory, at least. I haven't worked with it yet.

Thanks.

As for sapele, it is rally a nice wood with a couple of provisos.  It is significantly denser than actual mahogany.  So, it can be a bit hard on your tools.  The biggest issue for me is that the QS sapele is a BiT@& to hand plane.  The beautiful stripes you see in the pics are areas with reversing grain.  I pride myself on having really sharp planes but I still have a very hard time with my hand planes.  At this stage, I have given up on trying to hand plane the QS sapele.  I have a Festool ETS 115 with 2mm stroke and it is getting lots of use.  I am actually thinking of getting myself one of the new ETS EC sanders with 5 mm stroke, thinking it might a better job.  

The reason I am using Sapele so often is that I have a big stash of it.  I bought some really high grade 8/4 QS though an auction.  I also bought 8/4 and 12/4 QS sapele from a local woodworker for $3 a BF.  So, I will be using the lumber for while.  I really love the straight grain and when finished, it has a very deep, beautiful luster and depth.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wnaziri said:

IMG_3863.jpg

In the pic above, the drawer on the left has been sanded to 320 and the one on the right, planed with No. 4.  What a difference.  The one on the right almost looks three dimensional.  It shimmers.  I went back and planed the other drawer.

Can you help educate an ignoramus like me as to why a planed surface looks so different compared to the sanded surface?

The cabinet is coming along great, absolutely beautiful.

-E

3 hours ago, Elroy Skimms said:

Can you help educate an ignoramus like me as to why a planed surface looks so different compared to the sanded surface?

The cabinet is coming along great, absolutely beautiful.

-E

I will let others who are far more knowledgeable explain the reason why the planed version looks lustrous compared to the sanded version but the differences are fairly obvious to the naked eye.  It obviously has to do with mechanism establishing a smooth surface ( grinding with abrasion vs. sharp "scalpel").  

However, I do agree with Mike: once you apply finish, there is not as much of a difference in the appearance between planed vs. sanded.

12 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

Did the 2 surfaces rest for different amount of times after being worked? Sapele will change color and sheen after a new surface is exposed to the air for a while.

Nope.  The two drawers were done within minutes.  

As you all know, I am new to woodworking, I wanted to see if there WAS in fact a difference between a planed surface and a sanded surface.  When I listen to Mike Pekovich and Matt Kenney, they always wax eloquently about planed surfaces.  Since I have an "enquiring mind", I wanted to see what the heck they were talking about.  Well, I guess they know what they speak of!  I am sold on planed surfaces now.  I just have to learn how to be good and efficient at planing now.   B)