Say hello to my little friend

Gixxerjoe04

Def will once i get some time to get to work.  Figured with it being a lot of work, would rather do it during the fall and winter instead of when it's 90 degrees out, don't want to kill myself.  Am pretty pissed how long the company took to get the 60" bar to me.  I don't like oak really, but a tree that was estimated to be 350-400 years blew over a few weeks ago and missed out on it because my bar hadn't arrived yet.

16 minutes ago, Gixxerjoe04 said:

I don't like oak really, but a tree that was estimated to be 350-400 years blew over a few weeks ago and missed out on it because my bar hadn't arrived yet.

You should feel lucky that you missed it, unless it was white oak. If it was red oak think of all the fires you could have made, and in that case an axe to split it all would've been a better tool for the job.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

You should feel lucky that you missed it, unless it was white oak. If it was red oak think of all the fires you could have made, and in that case an axe to split it all would've been a better tool for the job.

Well it was burr oak, which apparently is a sub species of white oak, at least that's what I've read.  Only reason I wanted it was to cut cookies off of it and make some coffee tables with a little timeline inlayed into it.  Would have been cool to have dates marked for all the major events in history in the US.  But yea, i hate oak.

1 hour ago, Brendon_t said:

Very nice. How do you plan on getting trees to feed it through?  What species are indigenous to your area that you see yourself using? 

My arms and some sucker I get to help me when I use the 60" bar.  Walnut, cherry, maple, potentially any oak, ash, basically the main hardwoods people use, ky has. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gixxerjoe04 said:

My arms and some sucker I get to help me when I use the 60" bar.  Walnut, cherry, maple, potentially any oak, ash, basically the main hardwoods people use, ky has. 

Sorry,  let me clarify,  how do you intend to get the logs?  Do you have hardwood on your property?  Craigslist, storm downs?

Ah, I was wondering haha.  Craigslist, facebook, storms, family farm, or the farm I work on.  Would like to find a local tree service and make friends with them if possible.  They like to cut down big old trees at my work and pile them up and burn them, makes me sick.  Found two sweet cherry burls the past couple years.  One was on a standing tree, kept hoping it would blow down.  Had a big storm so I went and checked the farm, was the only tree that had blown down haha. 

My main problem is not having a trailer, will have to cut the logs where they lay and transport slabs in the bed of my truck, will probably buy a trailer by spring hopefully.  Me and one guy got a massive walnut log and massive ambrosia maple log for free off of craigslist.  The walnut was real nice cut up, never got to cut up the maple log because his chainsaw wasn't big enough.  Of course now i don't talk to him bc he did some real a-hole stuff, so won't get the wood that's mine.

51 minutes ago, Tom Crawford said:

For what it's worth:  I do not remember the details but a number of years ago when I needed to make a "rip" cut with a chain saw I was told by a Stihl dealer that a special sharpening angle is needed for best results.  

I think it's something like 10 degrees, can't remember off the top of my head, but i have a couple ripping chains which are set with the right angles for the process.

On 9/24/2016 at 11:09 PM, estesbubba said:

Burr (or Bur) oak is in the white oak family and the stuff I've worked with is hard as hell. 

http://www.wood-database.com/bur-oak/

Ah, burr and pin oak seem to be what a lot of people have around their homes.  Would have been nice to get some wood from that tree but would have sucked having to sharpen the chain a lot, 172 links aint no joke.