Veritas quick release tail vise

rodger.

I've fondled them at the shows.  Like a lot of Veritas stuff it is very well made, does just what it is suppoed to do and does it easily.  My tail vise choice is still in flux on my latest bench.  The design was done for a large twin screw at the front (which is in) and a small twin screw at the tail (which awaits my landing on a decision).  This tail vise is certainly one of the choices that has me still trying to decide.

1 minute ago, gee-dub said:

I've fondled them at the shows.  Like a lot of Veritas stuff it is very well made, does just what it is suppoed to do and does it easily.  My tail vise choice is still in flux on my latest bench.  The design was done for a large twin screw at the front (which is in) and a small twin screw at the tail (which awaits my landing on a decision).  This tail vise is certainly one of the choices that has me still trying to decide.

I also was looking over the twin screw veritas.  Any thoughts ?

Vises can be quite personal.  Some folks cannot believe anyone gets by without a leg vise.  Others favor the shoulder vise.  Some have to have QR features or feel handicapped.  Vises just seem to be one of the things that don't have a "best" answer that fits everyone.

My vise nemesis was racking.  I made a stack of 1/8" "cards" on a dowel to use as a variable spacer for my old QR vises and it worked great as a solution but, it was a solution to a problem I fundamentally didn't want in the first place.  A twin screw rig was my nirvana; others may not really care.

TNNW (68).jpg

The cool thing about the twin screw is that you can do this too.

TNNW (65).jpg

Don't be confused; in this pic the new bench top is setting on my old bench.  It was just a pic to show someone what I was doing.  There is no racking problem as the screws support each other. 

Hope this helps with your decision.  I think your question has helped me decide to just get on with mounting the small twin screw at the tail ;-)  Thanks!

• Like 2

While there are "drain" holes for debris to exit the screw trough, the spoil has to be pop corn kernal sized or smaller to not plug up these exit holes.  If you were generating a large amount of spoil and had to adjust the vise dog position dramatically you would want to blow the spoil out. For loosening and re-tightening during a session I have not found this to be an issue.

I use the inset vice in my bench-on-bench.  It is handy and works very well but, by sheer nature of scale I would not use it to hold a 60" x 8" piece of 8/4 while I surface planed it.  A great little vise and I really like it but, it is not a replacement if you are doing work better suited for a full sized vise.

• Like 1

I also have the Veritas twin screw and like it but if I were doing it again I would consider Benchcrafted Moxon vice.   http://benchcrafted.com/MoxonVise.html     Like gee-dub I bought the twin screw to prevent racking - and it definitely does that but clamping two sides that are not parallel takes a shim on the narrow end.  If I understand the Moxon vice correctly some amount of non-parallel can be clamped.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tom Crawford said:

I also have the Veritas twin screw and like it but if I were doing it again I would consider Benchcrafted Moxon vice.   http://benchcrafted.com/MoxonVise.html     Like gee-dub I bought the twin screw to prevent racking - and it definitely does that but clamping two sides that are not parallel takes a shim on the narrow end.  If I understand the Moxon vice correctly some amount of non-parallel can be clamped.

Cost and simplicity aside, the only disadvantage when compared to a leg vice is it's portable.  Some may prefer this though?