Dogs and noise

Pwk5017

My wife is on a dog kick recently, and i think things are becoming serious. She keeps texting me if a 7 hour drive is too far for this and that breeder. Ive only had a family cat and koi when i was younger, so i dont know much about dogs, but i do know they can hear very well. Is a basement woodshop detrimental to a dog's hearing? i dont want to shoot down her dream of owning one or two french bulldogs, but the line in the sand is drawn. Im not giving up the woodshop, and i dont want to kill the little buggers with excessive noise. I googled the topic--no surprise, the woodwhisper had an article on it--but i dont intend to have the dogs IN the shop EVER. No one mentioned how loud is too loud etc. I know i wouldnt be working without ear protection, so it's far too loud for them to be in the basement, but what about the living room above me? Is there a noise threshold for dog hearing damage? I can always turn on the cyclone and table saw to take a measurement upstairs. I work a lot, and i dont want to harm them, nor do i want to have to drive them to my parent's house 15 mins away just to do some work. That would be fine on saturday/sunday when i work all day in the shop, but it sucks during the week when i want to do 45-60 mins of work. I have the sneaking suspicion these pups will be the "kids before the actual kids" for her. 

The dog in my avatar used to go to sleep on the floor nearby while I was running my table saw.  The dog we have now doesn't go down there anymore after scaring herself knocking down a framing square, but otherwise just goes to sleep in the foyer when I'm running power tools.  And (unfortunately) a dog's ears only have to last a dozen years or so.  They'll be fine with the shop.  Recall how many hunting dogs are subjected to firearm noise. 

I don't think you will hurt the dogs hearing using your tools, especially if they don't go in there.  With my mastiff (avatar) before she passed she would lay by the fence when I was working with tools or lawn equipment. If she didn't like the sound she would move away.  My lab is the same way.  Have a great time on the road trip to the breeder.  Don't fight it, cause she will get her puppy.

The only caution I would give you is as far as breed.  I am unaware of the situation in Pennsylvania but here in California the French Bulldog has become way to popular and because of that they are being over bred and problems are arising.  We have a neighbor a couple of doors down that have Frencies and were looking for another but it took a while because they were seeing temperament differences in the parents then at the time they purchased their first two.

I know its not my place, but please don't buy a purebred dog. There are good breeders out there, but the industry as a whole is slowly destroying the dogs themselves. Look at German Shepherd's hips or Dalmatian's hearing. If you or your wife do want a purebred, have your wife look into breeds that are bred for health rather than appearance.

Statistics on health problems in purebred vs mixed breed dogs.

Note that French Bulldogs have around a 28% chance (according to limited vet study above) of developing Intervertebral disc disease, essentially slipping or rupturing a disc in their spine.

• Like 2

My older dog, a Rat Terrier, hates the noise.  I think it has far more to do with being really old and wanting to have quiet place to sleep.

The new dog, one year old golden retriever, does not care one bit.  He is completely fascinated with the jointer when it is running. 

Enjoy your new dogs and eventual children. 

1 hour ago, BonPacific said:

I know its not my place, but please don't buy a purebred dog. There are good breeders out there, but the industry as a whole is slowly destroying the dogs themselves. Look at German Shepherd's hips or Dalmatian's hearing. If you or your wife do want a purebred, have your wife look into breeds that are bred for health rather than appearance.

Statistics on health problems in purebred vs mixed breed dogs.

Note that French Bulldogs have around a 28% chance (according to limited vet study above) of developing Intervertebral disc disease, essentially slipping or rupturing a disc in their spine.

Oh no, I think it is a fair point to bring up. Actually, it is the #1 topic that came up when i asked my friends "am i going to hate having a dog?". Granted, all my friends are liberals, but it is a hot topic. For them, it wasnt so much about the health issues as the overcrowded shelters. I know very little about dog history, business practices etc. I only need 10 seconds of a sarah mclachlan commercial to know there are some horrible owners out there. The flip side is, she wants what she wants, i am partial to english bulldogs and these kinda resemble them(slightly), and i really dont want a traumatized shelter animal that attacks me on occasion. My uncle is 150% for a shelter adoption, but his shelter dog was stabbed a few times before he found his way to the shelter, and now the dog has PTSD or something. It will go bezerk in certain situations and just attack him! It is sad, but i dont want to be wary of something living in my house. Im not for the weird side effects of mass breeding, but it is odd to compare the koi industry(i know about) to the dog industry(ignorant of). Koi are also bred purely for looks, but the breeders cull(aka kill) thousands and thousands of baby koi in the pursuit of the top 1%. I have seen them do it, and i dont think i would have the guts to kill baby fish in the thousands. Breeding is strange stuff, that is all i will say. 

This is all great news, thanks guys. Glad to know it wont be considered cruel and unusual punishment to have them upstairs while im working downstairs. I seriously thought i was going to have to buy two sets of these https://www.amazon.com/Mutt-Muffs-DDR337-Hearing-Protection/dp/B002CZQ1TA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474918768&sr=8-1&keywords=dog+ear+muffs

13 minutes ago, Pwk5017 said:

Oh man, the customer photos for that just made my day a few times better.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

Ain't shrimps like baby fish? Oh man, I love shrimps.

I have no evidence to back this up but they probably are. The ornamental shrimp are breed for appearance. 

I love the shrimp too. Just had a Beta die a few weeks ago. He lasted 2.5 years. He lived in a 8 gallon cube with 3 Amano shrimp and some Assasin snails. I am about to do a rescape with some different plants and throw in some Red Cherry Shrimp.

Sorry for the derailment!

3 hours ago, BonPacific said:

I know its not my place, but please don't buy a purebred dog

This x1000.  And fyi I think it's everyone's place to inform others about the genetic problems purebreeds have, the effects it has on their quality of life, and the obvious fact that there are plenty of great dogs available at pounds/human society/etc.

And yeah, I think you are fine on the noise front.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

The flip side is, she wants what she wants, i am partial to english bulldogs and these kinda resemble them(slightly), and i really dont want a traumatized shelter animal that attacks me on occasion. My uncle is 150% for a shelter adoption, but his shelter dog was stabbed a few times before he found his way to the shelter, and now the dog has PTSD or something. It will go bezerk in certain situations and just attack him! It is sad, but i dont want to be wary of something living in my house.

This is an argument for adopting directly from other people, and keeping the dogs from hitting the pound at all. I only have cats (so far), and we adopted from a foster that took them directly from a woman going into a care home.

If you have a local forum or social media site (Nextdoor or a Facebook group) you could always put out the word for what you are looking for. Perhaps see if anyone has a Bulldog mix? Around me there are a lot of posts for people moving or dealing with allergies who have to re-home their pets.

14 hours ago, BonPacific said:

This is an argument for adopting directly from other people, and keeping the dogs from hitting the pound at all. I only have cats (so far), and we adopted from a foster that took them directly from a woman going into a care home.

If you have a local forum or social media site (Nextdoor or a Facebook group) you could always put out the word for what you are looking for. Perhaps see if anyone has a Bulldog mix? Around me there are a lot of posts for people moving or dealing with allergies who have to re-home their pets.

Yeah, and it was an extreme example, but one that makes me uneasy about shelter pets. It is odd that when the dog has these episodes, it doesnt attack another human or dog, it just attacks him. Perhaps my uncle looks like the original assailant? Other than that, it is a pretty good dog and they love it.

I would prefer a mixed breed after looking at the prices of some of these things! $4,000-6,000 a piece sounds a bit pricey, and she keeps mentioning TWO. I think they are growing on me, they look like bandit from Johnny Quest. 

Mike, that made me laugh. Im only 4 months in, i think it's too soon to begin discussing an open marriage.