White boards

Mcdavid

I am a teacher and was commissioned to make a few classroom sets of whiteboard slates. I got the melamine sheets from the home center and cut them up but the surface isn't quite the same at a commercial whiteboard. The dry marker doesn't come off very easy. I was thinking about coating the board with shellac or laquer to give it a more glossy/erasable surface. Do you guys think this would work or possibly have another solution in mind?

image.jpeg

Buy a large cheaply framed white board at an office supply place and cut that up. The magnetic ones are expensive and hard to cut but the cheap ones have the right kind of surface on a Masonite type board. The cheap aluminum frame is easy to get off. You have to use white board markers, Sharpies are semi permanent (but it cleans off with acetone)

My dad had an office supply company and I made custom sized whiteboards with a wooden frame to match the office furniture. Cutting the magnetic whiteboards and building a case with doors was a lot more work !

I rescued a white board from a school that was pitching it due to a damaged frame.  Its some type of white painted metal.  I simply repaired the frame, and now it's in my shop!

It's a real waste what schools and companies throw out.  That board was at least 75 - 100 dollars.  5 mins and a bit of epoxy and it was as good as new.