Handsaw Manufacturer Advice

Matt S

I am interested in buying a handsaw. I plan to start with cutting dovetails, so a small tenon or dovetail saw filed rip is what I'm after. I currently do not plan to cut tenons or other joinery but that may change someday.

Is there any appreciable difference in the performance of a Bad Axe vs. a Lie-Nielsen saw? If the additional cost of a Bad Axe can be justified by performance, I'll go that route. But if there is no appreciable difference, I can buy 2 LN saws for about the cost of 1 Bad Axe. 

What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

Matt

The Veritas saws always get high marks for value.  I have one and it is nice.  No one complains about Bad Axe, so it wouldn't be wasted if you have the money laying around.  I don't have any boutique tools, myself, and while I don't have one, I imagine the LN saws are probably equal performers.  It isn't much more work to tune up an old hand saw like you can an old plane if you'd rather spend as little as possible and put some sweat equity into a vintage saw.  Just steer clear of any that are bent. 

If all you need is functionality and you don't care about aesthetics then a hardware store backsaw can be re-filed to whatever you like if its 'as found' toothing leaves anything to be desired.  Then you can make a custom wooden handle once you get tired of whatever plastic garbage was put on at the factory. 

If you want something in between all of the above, many of the boutique saw vendors sell kits to make your own that'll have their tooth configuration but be cheaper. 

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 8:51 AM, Matt S said:

I am interested in buying a handsaw. I plan to start with cutting dovetails, so a small tenon or dovetail saw filed rip is what I'm after. I currently do not plan to cut tenons or other joinery but that may change someday.

Is there any appreciable difference in the performance of a Bad Axe vs. a Lie-Nielsen saw? If the additional cost of a Bad Axe can be justified by performance, I'll go that route. But if there is no appreciable difference, I can buy 2 LN saws for about the cost of 1 Bad Axe. 

What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

Matt

I own the LN saw and have never owned/used the Bad Axe saw.  I'm going to take a guess that there's no real appreciable difference in performance as they're both great saws.

Hopefully someone who owns both can chime in...  @Llama 

• Like 2

Thanks Gilgaron. I like all the Veritas tools I own, but I am not a fan of the look they gave their saws. I can't get past their odd appearance. 

I like new tools, so I'm also not interested in restoration or hardware store make over.

I really just want to buy a quality product. I know Lie-Nielsen is a quality product, but does the Bad Axe line perform better making it worth the additional cost? 

This is what I sent to Mark Harrell after receiving my BadAxe saws... 

"I've used the Lie-Nielsen saws, and sold them... To me, these have a better balance, and just seem sharper because of it. Looks are also important, all of the LN saws look the same. I can order yours how I want, not according to what someone else things a saw should look like."

I have large hands, and the LN saw never felt quite right. The money difference for the BadAxe was well worth it for me. In fact, I am planning a third saw from Mark as we speak. Mark operates his business in a manner that I agree with 100%. He is a proud Veteran of the United States Army. As a fellow Veteran, I am proud to support his business.

badaxe.jpg

Never used the LN. I've got some LVs and they are nice. However, I bought a Bad Axe a couple years back and haven't looked back. I was quite happy with the LVs until I tried the BA. 

I have a large hand and the BA with the larger handle just fits so much better. I will be buying another BA in the near future.