Shared experience?

Rex Edgar

I will edit things if they don't make sense after I post an read my comment.  But I have wrote a few hundred frustrated emails that voice my displeasure, contain enough cuss words to make a sailor blush, then delete and write the more toned down version.  Lucky I have enough sense to not hit send on the originals.

25 minutes ago, davewyo said:

Sometimes I write out a joke, and then delete it cuz you guys just wouldn't get my stupid humor.;)

I love stupid humor, and Dave sometimes people don't get my jokes also.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

I love stupid humor, and Dave sometimes people don't get my jokes also.

Oh, I have been there. The problem with the written word is that one cannot tell, as the joke is being revealed, that it just isn't going to fly in present company.....

I am also of the opinion that a few members on this forum must have apprenticed under Jesus......just sayin'.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Woodenskye said:

I will edit things if they don't make sense after I post an read my comment.  But I have wrote a few hundred frustrated emails that voice my displeasure, contain enough cuss words to make a sailor blush, then delete and write the more toned down version.  Lucky I have enough sense to not hit send on the originals.

All good letters and speeches and posts have rough drafts. Some are rougher than others.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I edit almost every post I make. Mostly for typing errors, but sometimes for actual stupidity.

I do that all the time too. We all make mistakes.

What doesn't feel like good netiquette to me is when people change their answer based on a subsequent post. For example, someone asks a joinery question and user A answers "Nails". After a while user B answers "Glue". After seeing that, user A edits his post changing it to "Glue", without saying anything about having edited his post. So after that, user B looks like he copied the answer from A while it was the other way around.

41 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

I do that all the time too. We all make mistakes.

What doesn't feel like good netiquette to me is when people change their answer based on a subsequent post. For example, someone asks a joinery question and user A answers "Nails". After a while user B answers "Glue". After seeing that, user A edits his post changing it to "Glue", without saying anything about having edited his post. So after that, user B looks like he copied the answer from A while it was the other way around.

I don't know anybody here in it for the glory. Most of us have the Google search and long term preservation in mind. If someone realizes they made a dumb error and changes a post, who cares? I find that rather nit-picky. If you would like posts left with editorial phrases added, that just adds to the backlog of pages loading. I am not saying you are wrong, just that there is a balance to be struck. 

8 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

I don't know anybody here in it for the glory. Most of us have the Google search and long term preservation in mind. If someone realizes they made a dumb error and changes a post, who cares? I find that rather nit-picky. If you would like posts left with editorial phrases added, that just adds to the backlog of pages loading. I am not saying you are wrong, just that there is a balance to be struck. 

I think it's about showing respect to the fellow poster. I know most people don't care, but since this is a netiquette thread after all, I posted what I think.