New Toys!

MisterDrow

Really looking forward to using these this weekend!  I'm especially excited about the miter gauge... the stock one that came with my saw is awful!

Also snagged four horizontal toggle clamps to make a tapering jig and a jointing jig. :D

MZ1CcEI.jpg

The dado stack will make so many things so much easier, as well. Hopefully this one lives up to the reviews, it was pretty cheap.

dm9Pa7D.jpg

The miter gauge is nice, but im still not incredibly impressed with how square mine is at 90°. I find the miter gauge to be a difficult thing to properly square. Still, high quality product, and i have it dialed in "good nuff", but i wish it were as good as my MFT or crosscut sled.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

Awesome, have fun.  I considered the incra miter guage, but figured I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost...let us know how you like it.

I've had one on my wishlist for a long time now and ended up getting some gift cards for Amazon so I went ahead and snagged it. I use my stock miter gauge quite a bit but it's so tedious to use because it doesn't fit snugly in the slot and it's sometimes hard to get the angle lined up perfectly. Really looking forward to seeing how much better this one is. I've got a crosscut sled but it's not set up for angled cuts so this will be nice.

Now if I can only get a better fence for my tablesaw, I'll be in good shape.

7 minutes ago, Pwk5017 said:

The miter gauge is nice, but im still not incredibly impressed with how square mine is at 90°. I find the miter gauge to be a difficult thing to properly square. Still, high quality product, and i have it dialed in "good nuff", but i wish it were as good as my MFT or crosscut sled.

I'm hoping all of the work I put into squaring my blade up with the miter slots on my table saw will translate to this being nice and accurate... but I realize I'm probably going to have to tune this a bit, as well.

2 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

I have one too & from the factory, it wasn't perfect. As I recall, the fence wasn't perfectly square to the table & it didn't seem to cut perfectly square at 90 degrees. Once I got the fence squared up vertically, the other problem disappeared. So now it's great. Not a substitute for a sled though.

• Like 1

Not to go off topic but if you have a contractor style saw the delta t3 fence is an awesome upgrade 

I've got an old Craftsman 113 but it's the direct drive model. That being said it's infinitely better than my old Skil tablesaw... but the fence is still junk; manageable junk, but junk. Someone around here was selling a shop fox fence on Craigslist for $135 that fits my saw and it was gone by the time I contacted him.

On 9/30/2016 at 0:30 PM, Pwk5017 said:

I use the same 5-cut method commonly used for sleds.  My V-27 has been spot on since the original setup (for each saw as I changed saws) and I check it a few times a year.  One has to remember that a miter gauge is not going to hold 40" long 8/4 stock dead on without assistance; that's a sled's job.

• Like 1

Yeah, I had already tuned my saw to be nice and parallel with the miter slot so it wasn't a difficult process to get it tuned up properly. I used a method I saw on YouTube where you make six equal-sized pieces with 30 degree angles and see how far off it is when trying to clamp that up. When I did so, I had about a 32nd or less of a gap near the end of one of the miters... so a very minuscule amount but compounded over those 12 cuts. A couple slight adjustments and I got everything tightened up nicely.

17 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

I use the same 5-cut method commonly used for sleds.  My V-27 has been spot on since the original setup (for each saw as I changed saws) and I check it a few times a year.  One has to remember that a miter gauge is not going to hold 40" long 8/4 stock dead on without assistance; that's a sled's job.

You are very correct, though, that larger pieces are for sleds and not the miter gauge. Now I need to get my tail in gear and get my sled finished!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to use that dado stack last night... for the price it really isn't bad at all. Produces some very smooth dados, though I can't go deeper than 3/4" with it, given it's a 6" dado, but that will be more than sufficient for box joints, tenons, and other joinery. It will serve me nicely, though, until I get a better table saw.