Looking for a smoothing plane

byegge

Hey everyone, need some advice on a plane purchase. I've been looking for a smoothing plane for a little bit mostly on ebay. Every no 4 Stanley gets snatched up for prices I don't want to pay. They are going for about 50 bucks. Is that too high for these. Also have been looking at the woodriver no 4. I can't afford a LV or LN, but can justify the 160 for the wood River. So I guess my question is go for the woodriver or take a chance on the old Stanley. 

I have the woodriver no4 and the low angle block plane. I also have like Nielsen planes. I like the lie nielsen's more, but I'm not sure if I would pay full retail for them just yet. My no8 retails for $500-550 or something? Ouch. I think the woodrivers are pretty darn good. The block plane doesn't blow me away, but the smoothing plane is great. I would buy again. 

Keep in mind I'm a mostly power tool user and I'm by no means a hand tool master. 

The Woodriver planes are fantastic. They equal or better the old Stanley. They are a bit more fettling than LN or LV. The decision for me is twofold:

1) Do I want to support local production enough to send more money to the others?

2) Does bronze make more sense than iron for my work environment. 

I bought a WR. I did it to try one out and also preview the Rob Cosman online archive. I have many old Stanley as well. Do I need the WR? No. the Stanley are fine. Do I like the WR? Yes, and it is guaranteed free of nicks, cracks, or rust. If you cannot put hands on a vintage plane before buying, the WR is not bad. I likely won't buy another though. I want to see some production remain in the US and will try when I can to support that. 

• Like 1

I have a LV 4 1/2 thats pretty darn nice. I've a Record block plane that after a couple of solid hours of tuning isn't half bad either. And I have a wood/iron bastard of a jointer plane that will always be a stinking turd.

So as long as you find something with good bones it's just a matter of spending the time to tune it up.

Everything I've heard about WR is that they are a great value, but take a little work tune.

What's your location?  Where I'm at, I've had pretty good success finding old Stanley 4s for around $10-20.  I actually got one that wasn't nearly as rusty as I though.  Due to my error, the shop keeper actually decided to just let me have the plane for free because of that.  It actually cleaned up far better than I ever expected.

3 hours ago, Jim DaddyO said:

The Record #4 in my restoration video I bought for $5 and was a pretty easy clean up.  There are deals out there, you just have to keep aware.  I don't know where you live, but paying $50 for an old #4 is just madness.  

Thats what I was thinking. I'm in Orlando and don't really have a local source for old planes. The ones on ebay that are selling for that price are in decent shape. I'm sure there are 10 dollar planes on there but I'm no sure if I can get those rust buckets working 

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the woodriver #4, and am pretty impressed.   I wasn't sure what to expect. It requires some cleaning, and the blade doesn't come sharp, but otherwise the sole was level and it worked very well.   They often have 20% off sales on them.

But I'm not as into this as some... my only other plane is a modern stanley block plane I got for $30 and took a lot of work on sandpaper to flatten the bottom.

I have a wood river 4 1/2 that I picked up at a Woodcraft 20% off sale $136 earlier this year. I also picked up the Lie Nielsen #4 bronze while in ME last month $315 (10% off if you buy at the store in Warren ME) I have not tried either yet but will probably keep the LN and sell the WR. Having said that is it worth the price difference? We'll have to see but I currently use a WR #5 and I am very happy with it. I think the WR planes are very good planes for the money and I also like my Veritas and LN planes but 10% off and bronze...come on I had to get it :) 

Bottom line if the plane is sharp and the sole is flat they will all get the job done...its really about how much time you will spend getting to that point. My experience is that WR, Veritas, & LN all produce great planes C Shaffer does make a great point about where they are manufactured...

• Like 1