Recommendations on a respirator

I've been using a dual canister 3m painting mask for awhile and it seems to be okay. Sometimes I have issues with tasting dust when sanding though, especially with the belt sander. But recently it seems the straps are getting too stretched out and it won't fit right.

What respirators are popular these days for sanding and painting?

I use a North 7700 series half mask that does not leak at all. The only complaint I have with it is that because of my huge honkin' nose, it gets a little uncomfortable after a couple of hours. They are not expensive, the cartridges are HEPA, inexpensive, & last a long time. Several months of heavy hobby use. Just blow em out backwards when they start to plug up.

A good acid test for sealing is to use the organic vapor cartridges & then spread a bunch of nasty smelling finish around. Any leak at all & you'll smell the solvent.

Respirators are a bit of a personal thing, you need to find one that is comfortable & seals well on your face

1 hour ago, drzaius said:

it gets a little uncomfortable after a couple of hours

Man, I can't imagine wearing that rig for "a couple of hours" in one sitting. What are you sanding on?

I wear a generic mask with replaceable cartridges and keep it sealed in a plastic bag when not in use.

1 hour ago, Rex Edgar said:

Man, I can't imagine wearing that rig for "a couple of hours" in one sitting. What are you sanding on?

I wear a generic mask with replaceable cartridges and keep it sealed in a plastic bag when not in use.

Haha. First I read "what are you standing on" & was about to explain that I don't wear it on my feet.

If I'm doing various dusty tasks I generally just leave it on. I don't wear it that long very often though, especially now that I have good dust collection installed.

I keep my organic vapor cartridges in a sealed bag, but don't see any point to doing so with the HEPA cartridges.

I use a 3M 7500 series. I use it as my dust mask with filter #2297 or if I am using non water based paints or finishes I put on organic vapor cartridges. When I am not using them i store the OV cartridges in a ziplock. I find it very comfortable and can wear it for extended periods with out issue.

I believe the difference between the 6500 and 7500 is that the 7500 has a silicone based seal on the face mask to aid in comfort.

To ensure you have a good seal when fitting your respirator remove any filters or cartridges, put the mask on and then cover the cartridge ports with your palms and breath in. The mask should suck tightly to your face and allow no air in.

Hope this helps though as has been mentioned earlier respirator fitting is a personal thing since everyone's face is different.

I've been using this GVS elipse sometimes. And it's compact feels light on the face and works fine. I always struggle with the right combo of mask and safety glasses especially since I like to wear the overear ear protection too. It starts to get a little congested up there on the noggin. Its a little weird but I n the end I actually find my 3m Full face mask to be the most comfortable.  The weight sits on a larger surface area around your head. Sure if it's hot and your in the shop for a few hours it can get a little annoying but I like it. It definitely looks like overkill but I don't even get dust in my eyes much less larger pieces of shrapnel. 

I have sort of a hatchet-face, wear glasses and use muffs for hearing protection.  Finding a mask that does the job, fits well, is comfortable and that doesn't block my vision is a challenge.  AO Safety made a single cartridge mask that I still have an use which is my favorite.  3M saw fit to discontinue it when they absorbed that product line.  I saw Philip Lowe wearing one in a video and wrote to him to ask if he had a source for any old stock.  He was good enough to write back and we agreed that if either of us found a source we would let the other know ;-)

I use a 3M half mask with the quick-latch for finishing.  For dust I use this Miller.  The miller meets all my criteria and is inexpensive.  It has really become my go-to mask for particulate protection.  When you find the mask that works for you I would buy a spare.  Manufacturers have a habit of "fixing" things or getting bought.  An item as personal as a respirator that fits and works well for you deserves a spare.