Invisidoor Bookshelf Design Help

Isaac

Been pretty busy lately, but I decided to get into a project I've been meaning to do, a hidden door bookshelf into my son's playroom. It is an idea I've been bouncing around in my head since we bought the place, and now is the time to get it knocked out. I've got the hardware and hoping someone on here might have used them before, the literature is a little lacking.

First, here is the doorway in question. As you can see the playroom has a low ceiling (just over six feet at the peak):

IMG_20161002_105158572 (Medium).jpg

One issue with the design right off the bat is that the ceiling projects about 3/4" into the frame at the top 4 to 6". I could just make the bookshelf shallow and stay in front of this, but I don't want to give up that much real estate, since it will already be a shallow bookshelf, Some I'm planning to just jog the shelf in at the top there. Shouldn't interfere with the hardware or hinges.

IMG_20161002_105218849 (Medium).jpg

Here is the design for the door, I've made in sketchup (first time using it, It took a bit to get going, but I figured this project will benefit from it, since I need some precision with measurements).

Invisidoor.jpg

The white thing at the top is the box out for the ceiling described above.

Invisidoor 3.jpg

Here is the back:

Invisidoor 2.jpg

So here are my questions at this time:

1. Any guidelines on shelf spacing? They are only 6 1/4" deep, Should I provide a couple taller ones and some shorter ones?

2. Is 3/4" the right thickness for the face frame? Right now, I'm showing 2 1/4 x 3/4 thick.

3. I'm planning to dado/rabbet all the shelves to the sides and attach a 1/2" plywood back. I was thinking the sides would simply be the same depth as the back, which means the plywood would actually sit on the surface. Suggestions for attachment? Glue and pre drilled finish nails?

4. The existing doorframe is just a tiny bit out of square, approximately 3/16" wider at the top than the bottom. I'm thinking if I design my shelf for the smaller dimension and cover the gap with the trim boards, I should be ok, any issues with this plan 

5. Anyone have specific experience with invisidoor hinges? If I understand correctly, at the end of the day, I need the bottom wood to be 3/4 above the floor to allow for the hinge, and at the top, I'm looking for 1/2".does that seem right?  

6. The hinges came with both a two large set screws, One has a head and the other is internally socketed, it seems like I'll only use one or the other, Any recommendations on which to use, or did I miss something?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

IMG_20161002_105204186 (Medium).jpg

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

Hinging and carrying the load can be tricky. I have done a few of these but I don't have time today to go into your specifics . Un latching from the concealed side can be another fussy detail.

How do people typically handle latching? I was thinking about maybe just using rare earth magnets for a very mild hold.

• Like 1

For shelves I've found that 13" has been the butter zone for me. I went i think it was 11.5" tall on some shelves and ended up with some books that made me wish it was taller. Also you don't have to stand books upright in the traditional sense. I have some laying down and stacked. With some hardcover books standing them up ends up bending their spine and distorting the book.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some progress shots. I Settled on shorter shelves on the top. The depth (limited by this being a secret door bookcase) made super tall shelves unrealistic, as the books would stick out too far, so instead I'm opting for shelves that will fit paperbacks and toys (it is my sons room after all).

For the latching I'm thinking of using a pair of rare earth magnets, one on the shelf, one on the frame, to sort of suck the door closed and keep it in place. I'll play with the distance between to make sure the force isn't too great. Also, If I put the one of the door just a hair low (1/16" or perhaps 1/8"), it should exert a small lifting force on the door, relieving some stress on the hinges and frame. I might change my mind on that one though.

It took me a couple tries to figure out how to get the dados on this thing right. Since the sides are full door height, I didn't feel I had a safe way to do these on my jobsite saw, so I decided to go for a handheld router. Here are the sides with a couple of shelves dry-fit.

IMG_20161023_195351106 (Large).jpg

I wound up building this jig for the identical height shelves, which not only ensure identical shelf placement, but also served to trap the router base at the top, stopping it from creeping away from the fence. It references off the previously routed dado.

IMG_20161023_195502661 (Large).jpg

Close up of the connections (still just a dry fitting). A spec of blowout, but not too bad.

IMG_20161023_195404935 (Large).jpg

IMG_20161023_195434220_HDR (Large).jpg

The last two shelves will be taller, so I'll need to built another jig for those.

I made a secret door a couple of months ago. Yours is way nicer than mine though! (Mine was for a utility room, to keep the kid out of the room with the sharp things and cleaning supplies)

The video @wtnhighlander posted is what inspired me to give it a shot. I went with a much simpler latch though. My doorframe had a plank at the top, which I considered the top of my cabinet. On the top of said cabinet, I will (yeah, haven't latched it quite yet) put a dowel sticking straight up. Then I'll put some sort of decorative sign on the face plate, that will actually punch through the top plank with a hook. Move the sign to one side, it unlocks the door. Move it the other way, and the hook will catch on the dowel, holding it closed

If you actually want your kid getting through while young though...this might not be viable. However, you might use that low ceiling as the spot where your magnets mount!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I like it, Isaac! I wish there was a place in my house where such a door could be used.

Thanks! you are right, it requires the right sort of room. That is my son's bedroom and playroom beyond (which is really a converted attic space. I wanted to have that sort of magical quality. Hopefully I achieve it.

10 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Awesome! Did you have to beef up the hinges, or add any rolling support, to account for the extra weight of books?

Its actually a pivot hinge like this.49e96949-795c-47c9-8f8f-f3eb239c639a_100

It is designed for wider doors, mine is only 28" wide, while the standard seems to be 36". I haven't tried pushing it to the max with every shelf loaded top to bottom with heavy books, but in general it is quite smooth and doesn't seem affected by the book load much. The hinges are not cheap, but they are made specifically for this task and make it a lot more manageable than without.

• Like 2