Cutting Board Wood Question

bushwacked

Always a fun topic :)

So I have a work craft show that they let employees sign up for for free so I figured why not. I could turn some pens and make some cutting boards and maybe some bandsaw boxes and other smaller things.

So I was going to try to put some other cool looking woods together along with the basics.

I was going to use walnut, maple, cherry, oak ... but was hoping to get a few others in there like pecan or sapele and maybe some other you all know of??

Thoughts? I am mainly asking because these people wouldnt know quality wood if I beat them over the head with some 8/4 figured walnut!

I think I've used just about every species of wood that's ever been in my shop in a cutting board at some point.  The only exception would be ebony for obvious reasons.  I've done the "chaotic" boards that have a little of everything in them as well as more traditional boards with odd accents to them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I would pass on the "grainy" woods like oak and hickory, ash, pecan, etc.  Not only can they potentially trap bacteria in their large pores, IMO they don't even look that good as end grain.  Stick with maple, cherry, walnut and dense exotics.

got any recommendations on a few dense exotics that are not going to break the bank?

1 minute ago, bushwacked said:

got any recommendations on a few dense exotics that are not going to break the bank?

Nope. LOL

Purpleheart is fairly cheap for a dense exotic.  Of course it's purple.

I usually just use my scraps.  I'm not gonna lay down real money for expensive exotics just to hack them up into little squares.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

I know walnut is widely accepted for use in cutting boards, and I've used it in probably every board I've made, but it's got open pores too.  I've never really understood why it's acceptable and other porous woods are not.

Not nearly as open as oak, especially red oak.  Hickory also has huge pores.  I'd put walnut about halfway between cherry and oak.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Isaac Gaetz said:

What about allergen risks? don't some woods pose a bit of a health concern?

Meh.  Only when you breathe the dust.  I know some people get in a twist over some trace toxin in cocobolo, but I've yet to be personally effected by it or know anyone who has.  The chances of ingesting enough of anything toxic in the common species we have available to us are slim to none.

Now certain people do have severe allergies to certain species...but again, I wouldn't really be concerned about that unless I was breathing the dust.  Or otherwise ingesting the wood through some other orifice. :unsure:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Immortan D said:

Woodworkers have been killing people with cutting boards for millennia. I just prefer Corian or UHMW cutting boards.

UC Davis did a long-term study on this... they started out researching how to disinfect wood surfaces to be as safe as plastic but they found that wood is already safer than plastic...

An exerpt: 

Our research was first intended to develop means of disinfecting wooden cutting surfaces at home, so that they would be almost as safe as plastics. Our safety concern was that bacteria such as Escherichia coli O157:H7 and Salmonella, which might contaminate a work surface when raw meat was being prepared, ought not remain on the surface to contaminate other foods that might be eaten without further cooking. We soon found that disease bacteria such as these were not recoverable from wooden surfaces in a short time after they were applied, unless very large numbers were used. New plastic surfaces allowed the bacteria to persist, but were easily cleaned and disinfected. However, wooden boards that had been used and had many knife cuts acted almost the same as new wood, whereas plastic surfaces that were knife-scarred were impossible to clean and disinfect manually, especially when food residues such as chicken fat were present. Scanning electron micrographs revealed highly significant damage to plastic surfaces from knife cuts.

Although the bacteria that have disappeared from the wood surfaces are found alive inside the wood for some time after application, they evidently do not multiply, and they gradually die. They can be detected only by splitting or gouging the wood or by forcing water completely through from one surface to the other. If a sharp knife is used to cut into the work surfaces after used plastic or wood has been contaminated with bacteria and cleaned manually, more bacteria are recovered from a used plastic surface than from a used wood surface.

http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, MisterDrow said:

UC Davis did a long-term study on this... they started out researching how to disinfect wood surfaces to be as safe as plastic but they found that wood is already safer than plastic...

An exerpt: 

http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm

Yeah, there is study for everything. Still synthetic materials are easier to disinfect with bleach and hot water after cutting raw meat. A wooden cutting board will look messy after using either.

7 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

Yeah, there is study for everything. Still synthetic materials are easier to disinfect with bleach and hot water 

They have proven this false. This is why wood and stainless are allowed in two different types of food prep. Plastic is not. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wdwerker said:

Years ago the USDA, Forrest service , or one of those agencies did a similar study and wood cutting boards were declared safer than the plastic ones. End grain cutting boards last longer and develop fewer deep cuts that might harbor bacteria. Corian will dull your knives quickly .

And wood just looks better.  :D

• Like 1