Walnut Diagonal Bookcase

Bart

I haven't posted anything in ages, but lurk regularly! 

Received a commission from a client who wanted a diagonal bookcase, wall to ceiling high. Below some pictures of the process:

Starting with a stack of walnut

ABC01.jpg

A lot of planing, glueing and domino-ing (is that a word?)

ABC02.jpg

This sucker made life a LOT easier. One of my best investments ever.

ABC03.jpg

Starting the dry fit

ABC04.jpg

Progress

ABC05.jpg

More progress, and lot's and lot's of domino's

ABC06.jpg

Progressing more

ABC07.jpg

This is where I made a mistake... The client wanted 30 cm deep, and there was no way I could get my hands on walnut that wide in these parts. So I decided to double up 15 cm deep boards and join them.  I should have pre-made the final width required prior to putting it all together, as a 1 mm error gets compounded very quickly.

ABC08.jpg

Another challenge was the height required - the door was no where near high enough to move the bookcase though, so had to make the main body and the top layer of "boxes" separately.

ABC09.jpg

Of course I ran out of suitable domino's pretty quickly. Shipping them in from Europe of the US would be rather costly, so made my own. 

ABC10.jpg

• Like 1

This is wonderful, I've never thought about diagonal book shelves before. I think i agree with you and like it better with out the border. Though with the border you can use the top corners for storage. Dang that's a lot of dominoes.

I kinda wish the client had put some of the books alternating in direction. Having them all the same way would make me start to tip over ... :D.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lewisc said:

Very impressive. I enjoy seeing creative uses of tools and this is one of them.

How long/tall is it?

Thank you @lewisc! It came to 341 cm x 245 cm, so just over 11 ft x 8.3 ft

49 minutes ago, Gixxerjoe04 said:

That's awesome, just curious, what are prices like for lumber over that way?

AED 320 per cubic ft, about USD 87. 

6 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

This is wonderful, I've never thought about diagonal book shelves before. I think i agree with you and like it better with out the border. Though with the border you can use the top corners for storage. Dang that's a lot of dominoes.

I kinda wish the client had put some of the books alternating in direction. Having them all the same way would make me start to tip over ... :D.

Ha, exactly what I thought, alternating, bottles of wine here and there. But each to their own.

6 hours ago, Pug said:

Really nice project!

A question about your finish.  I was under the impression that mineral oil doesn't cure.  Does the poly have any issues on top of it?

Thanks @Pug! I've applied this finish a couple of times now, and have had 0 issues. I wipe on the mineral oil sparingly but really thorough, making sure there is no residue or puddles. Wait a few hours until it dries and nothing comes off anymore. This obviously really brings out the grain and colour. Then on the bookcase a single coat of polycrylic, smells better than polyurethane too. For a table I would add more coats of poly to resist the rings left behind by glasses. 

Worked so far! I've done just poly too, but find the colour isn't as rich. May experiment more if I can get my hands on some of the finishes available in the Americas. 

14 hours ago, Bart said:

Thanks @Pug! I've applied this finish a couple of times now, and have had 0 issues. I wipe on the mineral oil sparingly but really thorough, making sure there is no residue or puddles. Wait a few hours until it dries and nothing comes off anymore. This obviously really brings out the grain and colour. Then on the bookcase a single coat of polycrylic, smells better than polyurethane too. For a table I would add more coats of poly to resist the rings left behind by glasses. 

Worked so far! I've done just poly too, but find the colour isn't as rich. May experiment more if I can get my hands on some of the finishes available in the Americas. 

Are you sure that's mineral oil your using? Mineral oil never dries, ever. If it works, then it must be getting absorbed into the wood sufficiently. I'ts not a gamble I'd take though. There are oil finishes that cure & polymerize that will give the same effect as the mineral oil.

2 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

So essentially you built two identical pieces and domijointed them together? 

Yes, but they are mirrored. One one side the long pieces run from right to left, with short pieces left to right, and on the other side it's the opposite. It's the only way I could think of to keep the rigidity without having to resort to adding hardware, aircraft cable etc. 

6 minutes ago, Bart said:

Yes, but they are mirrored. One one side the long pieces run from right to left, with short pieces left to right, and on the other side it's the opposite. It's the only way I could think of to keep the rigidity without having to resort to adding hardware, aircraft cable etc. 

Excellent sir! Excellent!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -MattK- said:

awesome work, Bart!  What do those temps do to the open time on your glue?

Thanks Matt. I do notice that the glue goes off quicker in summer obviously, but not by much. Our temperatures move through the year from hot to damn hot, so I don't have much experience in cold weather. 

In my ignorance, and because the prices here are almost the same across the TItebond range, I've been using TB3 for everything. On this project there was an insane amount of sanding, mainly due to my shortcomings as a woodworker! After many hours getting the worst of it with a chisel and sander, especially all the 90 deg areas where glue likes to slide to, I finally learned that TB1 is MUCH easier to sand. So if it doesn't have to be food safe or insanely tight, that's what I'll use next time for a similar project. Thinking about making a smaller one (5 cubbies high, 3 wide) as a wine rack for personal use.