Bowfront medicine chest

Mick S

This is great, Mick ! Ive wanted to build a bowfront cabinet for a while now but don't have the vac press. I imagine you are using the press where you are taking the class but do you own one? I've been hinting to my wife to get me one for my bday next month. She looked confused and said you don't want the new festool saw lol. Gotta love that woman.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shaneymack said:

This is great, Mick ! Ive wanted to build a bowfront cabinet for a while now but don't have the vac press. I imagine you are using the press where you are taking the class but do you own one? I've been hinting to my wife to get me one for my bday next month. She looked confused and said you don't want the new festool saw lol. Gotta love that woman.

I am using the school's press. It's a generous 4 x 8 bag with a good sized pump. I can easily see myself with one once the semester is over. It's a really cool technology and a lot of fun to do.

I hear you on the wife. Alison came home from lunch with a friend a last week. First thing she said was, "How much is that sander you want?" Then she showed me the jewelry she got. Hello, Acme tool? I may still have room for a vacuum press from that lunch!

IMG_1809.jpg

Here's the first panel once it came out of the press this morning. This is just the core panel. I'll split it into two doors, then square them and band them before veneering over them with the final veneers, front and back.

19 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Curious why two separate glue ups?

Otherwise the edges would look like plywood. In order to have the edges look like solid wood you have to band the core before veneering. The first glue up establishes the curve that gets banded. You don't have to do it that way, but if you don't, the edge banding forms a border, or frame around the veneer.

38 minutes ago, micks said:

Otherwise the edges would look like plywood. In order to have the edges look like solid wood you have to band the core before veneering. The first glue up establishes the curve that gets banded. You don't have to do it that way, but if you don't, the edge banding forms a border, or frame around the veneer.

Good to know thanks for sharing :)

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, micks said:

Progress is coming in fits and starts. I've always preferred cutting dovetails on a table saw. I had to have a TS blade ground to 7 degrees since I have not been able to locate my old one since moving out here. I'm sure it will turn up any day now that I have another.

I also made a new dovetailing jig for my miter gauge. I made it double sided since I have to remove it for normal miter operations anyway. Tails on one side and pins on the other. I used the new Micro Jig clamps for the stop - just cit a dovetail slot and slide it in. Love 'em!

IMG_1897.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1910.jpg

It's beginning to look like the cabinet it will soon be.

IMG_1916.jpg

Where did you get a custom ground TS blade? Any sharpening shop do that?

I respect guys that do hand cut dovetails but i just don't have patients for that, yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chestnut said:

Where did you get a custom ground TS blade? Any sharpening shop do that?

I respect guys that do hand cut dovetails but i just don't have patients for that, yet.

Yes, most saw shops can do it. You can buy one already ground for dovetails, but no more than the blade will get used you can save money by getting an inexpensive (Diablo is what I have) blade and having a sharpening service do it. My total cost was about $52 for a 10" blade.

I've cut plenty by hand, but other woodworkers were the only ones that appreciated them at all. Now I opt for strong and repeatable. First set I ever cut were for a friend who had just bought some enormous Klipsch speakers and wanted to get them up off the carpet. So I made some 2" tall frames for them to sit on using handcut dovetails. You had to lie down on the floor to see them.

Just now, shaneymack said:

Mick, this project is so awesome! Ive been fantasizing day and night over all the awesome bent lam and veneered projects I can do when I get a veneer press. This thread is feeding that fantasy and might make me get the veneer press sooner than I expected. 

Great work, buddy ! 

It's a lot of fun. I'm planning to build a desk for our office with curved, veneered drawer fronts, stretchers and aprons. 

1 minute ago, shaneymack said:

I better get my setup before you start that. I won't be able to handle it lol.

Will you be buying a vac press ?

I'm sure I will sooner than later. For now I'm content with using the school's. 

I could have sworn I posted these, but I guess it's better late than never.

This is the top trimming fixture I used. The curved MDF with the slots is the template for a flush trim bit to square off the top of the core panel before I cut it to length and split it. Loved having Timothy Wimot's MFTC to do this on!

IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

IMG_1823.jpgIMG_1825.jpg

I clamped the pieces to my TS sled before splitting them and cutting to length.IMG_1826.jpgIMG_1827.jpgIMG_1828.jpg

Then edge banded the core.

IMG_1829.jpgIMG_1833.jpg

And finally veneered the core with mesquite.

IMG_1841.jpgIMG_1846.jpgIMG_1893.jpg

• Like 2