my new desk

galturner

57e2628884cba_bookcasehandtoolsdetail.jpg.6486e1def7520a86b28d02f9f1ac1658.jpgI have been without a desk for over 30 yrs, so I thought it about time I made one.  The door of the cabinet is homemade veneers. The spalted birch, I hoarded and saved from my firewood pile, over many years. The curly walnut sat on the shelf for many years, just waiting for the right project.  The writing surface(5 ft. long) is walnut with inlays of curly walnut and spalted birch, and it goes thru the wall of the cabinet and makes an interior shelf.   After the danish oil dries, I will give it a few coats of varnish, and then it will be hung on the wall.  

DSCN2354.JPG

• Like 2

treeslayer, I will try to fulfill your request tomorrow, but as stated the writing surface is 5ft..the cabinet is 24Hx14wx14D

drz: glad it does it for ya! I designed & redesigned. and changed my ideas on the wood  at least 50 times, but I am thrilled with this. it goes with wall art and other pieces I have made on the Cityscape theme. The curly walnut is supposed to represent city blds., skyscrapers etc.

Now that you mention the cityscape i remember seeing some of your other projects they are cool. I really really like that walnut and i think the thing that makes the contrast work is the dark brown streaks in the light wood. It also would be very helpful to have some of your other work near by to tie  a few of the design ideas together. I'm kind of interested in the design of it being a hanging desk. An in place picture would be awesome, like Mr, Treeslayer said.

2 hours ago, galturner said:

drz: glad it does it for ya! I designed & redesigned. and changed my ideas on the wood  at least 50 times, but I am thrilled with this. it goes with wall art and other pieces I have made on the Cityscape theme. The curly walnut is supposed to represent city blds., skyscrapers etc.

That's exactly what I was seeing there.