Kitchen cabinets

bradpotts

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

Why are there spaces between each cabinet? Are you not screwing them all together? I've only ever done euro style frameless kitchens so I could just be ignorant here.

With face frames, the frame extends beyond the width of the carcass/box itself. Cabinets are installed with the frames touching each other, which forces a gap between each carcass/box. You can still screw the carcasses/boxes together, but you would use some sort of a shim material between them.

-E

• Like 1

With face frames, the frame extends beyond the width of the carcass/box itself. Cabinets are installed with the frames touching each other, which forces a gap between each carcass/box. You can still screw the carcasses/boxes together, but you would use some sort of a shim material between them.

-E

That's what I was thinking but why couldn't the face frame finish flush on the sides where it meets other cabinets?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I think that boils down to personal preference.

I like to adjust the door width so the spacing on a center stile is the same as the spacing on a side stile. Which means I expose half the stile on the right edge of one cabinet and half on the left edge of the adjacent cabinet to make it all balance out. On an end cabinet, the exposed side has the same exposed stile width as the center. You could accomplish the same thing by making some stiles more narrow instead of changing the door width.

Personally, I find it easier to adjust the width of the doors as I make those last. Cabinet layout can change up until they are installed. If someone decides a center cabinet should get swapped to an end cabinet, having a narrow stile becomes a problem.

-E

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

That's what I was thinking but why couldn't the face frame finish flush on the sides where it meets other cabinets?

If you make the face frame flush with the cabinet and the side  has a bit of a bow or the frame is not prefect  you will have a hard time getting all the face frames to go together without a gap. I let my face frames go past the cabinets at least 3/16in on each side or more and that also gives you some leeway room to scribe if you need to in corners and such with a belt sander, track saw exc.

If you make the face frame flush with the cabinet and the side  has a bit of a bow or the frame is not prefect  you will have a hard time getting all the face frames to go together without a gap. I let my face frames go past the cabinets at least 3/16in on each side or more and that also gives you some leeway room to scribe if you need to in corners and such with a belt sander, track saw exc.

I agree about leaving scribe material. I was refering to when it's cabinet to cabinet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shank said:

I agree about leaving scribe material. I was refering to when it's cabinet to cabinet.

If the cabinet side has a bow in them and the  the face frames are even with the sides then they may not come together very well when installed cabinet to cabinet.. The cabinets when installed may hold the face frames apart. If the frame over hangs the cabinet a bit all you need to worry about is getting the facefreame joints tight with clamps during the install.

• Like 2

@shaneymack, Matt answered your question. Cabinet sides are not typically thick ply here. The thinner the ply, even the good pre-finished stuff can move a tad. It is common to screw the face frames together and then shim the carcass before screwing them together. 

Thanks guys. Typically a custom kitchen here would be done a little differently. All cabinets tight together, screwed together and a one piece face frame spanning each run of cabinets.

Don't want to hijack, was just curious.

• 2 weeks later...