Sharpening

Mcdavid

I am considering a change in sharpening gear. I currently have some cheap water stones which need to be soaking in water for 20 mins before use. Or so they say. I my Arizona DRY heat, I need to soak them for an hour and spray they with water after every 4 strokes. They sharpen nice enough but I can't wait an hour then take more time during the process. I'm looking into DMT diamond plates that Paul Sellers uses. Not a terrible price but if I want to get 3 grits I'm going to need about $150. What I'm wondering is about size, they have a 2x6 model and a 3x8 model. I would love the 3x8 model but a set of 3 would be $150-$170 and the 2x6 would be $90-$110. Not a huge savings but enough to warrant some thought. What do you think would a 2x6 plate be large enough?

1 hour ago, Mcdavid said:

I am considering a change in sharpening gear. I currently have some cheap water stones which need to be soaking in water for 20 mins before use. Or so they say. I my Arizona DRY heat, I need to soak them for an hour and spray they with water after every 4 strokes. They sharpen nice enough but I can't wait an hour then take more time during the process. I'm looking into DMT diamond plates that Paul Sellers uses. Not a terrible price but if I want to get 3 grits I'm going to need about $150. What I'm wondering is about size, they have a 2x6 model and a 3x8 model. I would love the 3x8 model but a set of 3 would be $150-$170 and the 2x6 would be $90-$110. Not a huge savings but enough to warrant some thought. What do you think would a 2x6 plate be large enough?

Just wondering, can't you leave the stones wet to avoid the presoaking hassle?

14 minutes ago, Isaac Gaetz said:

Just wondering, can't you leave the stones wet to avoid the presoaking hassle?

I have thought about it but the water will evaporate before my next work shop time. But if I keep a big enough thing of water it could probably work. Just a hassle. Would prefer to just pull out the plates spray a little windex and have at it. Quick methods are best since my time is so short in the shop. 

• Like 1

I have the 3x10 dmt stones extra course thru extra fine  and use them when I need to change a blade's shape or sharpen an abused blade, but they are not enough.  I grew up with oil stones and prefer them over water, just because of the mess, so I have 3 Arkansas stones, soft, medium, and surgical black.  My one concession to water stones is that I finish with an 8k stone that I just have spray prior to use.  Oil stones are slower, but I get a nice edge and don't have to deal with water.

Having to soak my stones would drive me nuts. 24 hours in advance would be a serious no go.  I sharpen when i find i need to. When a plane gets harder to push or a chisel isn't quite cutting as easily,  I break out the 600 and 1000 stone and touch them up. It's a spur of the moment thing when needed. I don't pre meditate sharpening time. 

I spray my stones down with water and within a minute,  I'm cutting steel. I bought my Shapton stones from amazon. Not sure if they are Chinese or authentic but they work great and don't  dish nearly as quickly as my old garage sale stones.

I have been using a smoothing plane on a bunch of ash for my latest build.  I keep the strop right on the bench a just pause now and then to give the blade a few swipes on it and then back to work.  Seems to be working quite nicely.  I use the stones "between" jobs.  The strop keeps it nicely tuned even with the hard stringy ash I am working on.

13 hours ago, Jim DaddyO said:

I agree, I have the narrower 2" stones and I should have paid the extra for the wider ones.  Looking for wider leather for the strop now too.  My experimental one with an old piece of belt I consider a success, so now I want a full width one.

Get some horse butt leather from tools for working wood. It's fantastic!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 10/10/2016 at 6:37 AM, Jim DaddyO said:

I have been using a smoothing plane on a bunch of ash for my latest build.  I keep the strop right on the bench a just pause now and then to give the blade a few swipes on it and then back to work.  Seems to be working quite nicely.  I use the stones "between" jobs.  The strop keeps it nicely tuned even with the hard stringy ash I am working on.

For a quick refresh of the edge, do you completely disassemble the steel, or leave it on the chip breaker?

8 hours ago, Pondhockey said:

For a quick refresh of the edge, do you completely disassemble the steel, or leave it on the chip breaker?

I take off the chip breaker and strop the back also.  In my thinking the back on a bevel down plane is just as important, if not more so than the bevel.  It is the face of the iron that is in contact with the wood.  The bevel just gets the thickness of the iron out of contact with the wood.

The sharp edge is a combination (intersection) of the back and the bevel face.  That's why, to get to the sharpest point possible, the back needs to be flat, and polished to the same level as the bevel-or at least the part of the back nearest the bevel. I like to do from a 1/2" to an inch of the back just to get done with it, and then it only needs to be hit on your finest stone from then on at any sharpening session.

I started with sandpaper on a flat piece of granite. It worked fine but the move to water stones was definitely a step up from my perspective. It's really not a big deal to keep them flat and once you get a system in place (still refining mine), it's quick and easy to keep sharp. There are still a lot of guys that use the Scary Sharp system. Some of them are here.