Sealcoat

gjd7721

Going out on a limb and am probably wrong. There probably isn't a difference it's just a different product number that is sent to some box stores.The only place i could find it with that number is Home depot and who knows what agreement they have with rustoleum. I do know from experience that it's HD's way or the highway in their bushiness dealings.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Everybody says that, but I have yet to see an example of varnish failure caused by 'waxy' shellac under it.

In any case, shellac can be decanted to seperate out most of the wax.

I did a project a year ago that was flat and would be easy to refinish that had adhesion issues. The only thing that i can think of that caused it was that i used regular shellac for a base coat.

On a side note is any one "that guy: that reads the date stapms in the store and rotates their shelf for them? I almost always bring the old stuff to the front and put the new stuff in the back. If it was me buying not knowing I'd be pissed getting an outdated can.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike. said:

So you are hiding the new stuff in the back for yourself? 

Buy flakes and mix your own.  I buy mine from homesteadfinishingproducts.com.  He sells them in a reseable container, instead of a plastic bag.  And the flakes come more finely ground, so they dissolve faster. 

Naa they add product from the front so if they don't sell out 1 can could sit on the shelf for years endlessly being pushed backwards. They should use the standard grocery store rotation add to the back and move old to the front, but the minimum wage workers don't know shellac and seal coat have expiration dates.

I'd mix my own but it's so damn expensive and time consuming. Is there really a 300% money and effort benefit? I can't even bring myself to spend that much more just to try it. Especially when i almost always topcoat with something else.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Generally speaking I will pay more to avoid shopping at Home Depot.   I really don't like the way they do business and I can't trust the quality of anything they sell.  The fact that they have a custom SKU on their shellac raises questions.  

Yeah i agree i hate HD, not that menards is any better. I buy a fair amount of finishes at lumber yards or local paint shops.

Our firm did some work for HD and after that experience, never going there again.

Menards used to sell SealCoat for $17 and it eventually creeped up to $35 and now they don't have it. I also noticed SealCoat used to say guaranteed fresh for 3 years from date on container and they quit putting that on the container so I wonder if something changed with the product? Over the past several years I just mix my own. 

55 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I was told buy one of the online shellac dealers (shellac shack or shellac.net) that RPM is adding something to SealCoat to extend the shelf life.  He said it causes a less durable finish.  Of course his comments are self serving, but there is rarely a free lunch in life.  

Mike - I've heard (or read) the same thing that they add something to SealCoat to extend shelf life. Because of this you aren't supposed to build multiple coats or use it as a final finish.