Pug

Premade runners?

42 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Mike. said:

A couple months at least... it is a little up in the air.  Right now I am focusing on shop upgrades.   I spent almost zero time planning/building out my shop because I was so anxious to build real stuff.   Electrician is coming tomorrow to pull a 220/30a circuit for the drum sander that is coming friday.  It will take me a day to get it set up.  

I am adding biesemeyer style rails and a very supercool tools fence to my table saw.  I bought a cast iron router table wing that will also go in my TS.  Shop reorg/cleaning.  

I do have 2 projects going (my stickley cabinet and a wall cabinet) but those are on hold until I get my DS and TS projects done.  Then I will be building an Ash bathroom vanity.  If I can get all that done by Christmas I will be happy.  

Very cool ! Which drum sander? Let me guess 

http://woodmasterdrumsanders.com/2675

Just now, shaneymack said:

Very cool ! Which drum sander? Let me guess 

http://woodmasterdrumsanders.com/2675

Yup.  Bigger drum, slower speed, big motor, ridgid construction.  I am really looking forward to it.  

1 person likes this

Yup.  Bigger drum, slower speed, big motor, ridgid construction.  I am really looking forward to it.  

I knew it. Damn I'm good. Way to break away from the 19-38 cult, bud.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Just now, shaneymack said:

I knew it. Damn I'm good. Way to break away from the 19-38 cult, bud.

There is some truth to that.  The more people have something, the less I want it. I always admired the cow that was off by himself and not fighting the herd for a blade of grass.  

The 19/38 seems great and people really like it, but the Woodmaster is a better fit for my shop.

It can handle some light abrasive planing, and I do have access to nice wide boards  

It also has a small foot print and I bought the reversing kit.   In my small shop that is huge.  I can bury the outfeed side in a corner and just use the reverse mode to take a second pass and return the board/panel to the infeed side.  

25" is plenty of capacity for what I do.  If I ever need a 50" panel, I can domino the two halves together.  

There is some truth to that.  The more people have something, the less I want it. I always admired the cow that was off by himself and not fighting the herd for a blade of grass.  

The 19/38 seems great and people really like it, but the Woodmaster is a better fit for my shop.

It can handle some light abrasive planing, and I do have access to nice wide boards  

It also has a small foot print and I bought the reversing kit.   In my small shop that is huge.  I can bury the outfeed side in a corner and just use the reverse mode to take a second pass and return the board/panel to the infeed side.  

25" is plenty of capacity for what I do.  If I ever need a 50" panel, I can domino the two halves together.  

I agree, way better sander. If I could afford that, that's what I would have also. What did you pay ?

28 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Its pretty much SOP in my industry.  It was part of the standard employment agreement I signed at my last promotion.

Cool. Not in mine, although I wish it were, in some ways.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, JosephThomas said:

Cool. Not in mine, although I wish it were, in some ways.

I won't lie, the paid time off is nice. But not working is costing me more money than they are paying, because my new job pays more and once I start at the new place I will have a yuuge backlog of things to take care of.   

Its actually going to be harder on my kids.   They are really used to me being around, and when the new gig starts I will be averaging 70 hours a week to catch up.  But these are first world problems :) 

4 minutes ago, mat60 said:

Single or double drum Mike?

Single.   Trust me, a double drum was tempting but you have to draw the line somewhere :)

1 person likes this

I used those Incra ones. I hate them. Hard to adjust. And I never got any sled using them to ride smoothly. The Rockler ones, however, are phenomenal. 

I had some 3/8" aluminum ones with countersunk screw holes made where I work... they were precision cut on a waterjet and I only had to do VERY minor sanding to get them to run smoothly in the tracks of my saw. I think I ended up paying $18 for the pair (each was 24" long)... and most of that was shop time. We get materials and shop time at cost but cutting things on the waterjet is expensive.

On 10/12/2016 at 2:51 PM, SawDustB said:

I'd recommend uhmw... I went with it in my last sled. Cheap, fits the miter slots perfectly with no slop, and slides great. I picked it up for other reasons, so I bought the 4 inch wide sheet and sliced off the runners.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=32045&cat=3,43576,32045

I used UHMW and it works great. One advantage is that adjusting the woodscrews that attach the runner to the sled gives you a microadjustment of the fit (as you tighten the material bulges out just a bit around the screw which tightens up the fit of the runner in the slot)

UHMW is what I was planning to use on my sled when I finally make one.

Anyone use Trex for runners?  I have some left over from a project, and it seems like it might work like UHMW.

On 10/13/2016 at 5:01 PM, Andy Wright said:

One advantage is that adjusting the woodscrews that attach the runner to the sled gives you a microadjustment of the fit (as you tighten the material bulges out just a bit around the screw which tightens up the fit of the runner in the slot)

See now I would call that a disadvantage for the same reason of not liking the little in/ out adjusters on kreg rails. 

25 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

See now I would call that a disadvantage for the same reason of not liking the little in/ out adjusters on kreg rails.

i have a 10 year old sled with it and it still works great. I have a kreg miter gauge that uses the other type of adjustment and it is more of a pain to adjust

11 hours ago, Beechwood Chip said:

Anyone use Trex for runners?  I have some left over from a project, and it seems like it might work like UHMW.

Trex is soft and wiggly at strips thin enough for runners. 

On 10/11/2016 at 7:16 PM, Pug said:

After dozens of picture frames, I think I finally wore out my miter saw sled.

Upon planning a new one, I was thinking about using some premade metal runners for the new sled.  I do have some quarter sawn white oak in the scrap bin, so I could use that.

Anyone use these before?  Are they worth the cost and effort?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=65247&cat=1,43455

i bought the microjig zero play and they work fantastic