Help in restoring a finish

Hello,  I recently inherited a nice old dresser that had been stored in damp conditions. It had white mildew growing on the sides that damaged and discolored the finish. I washed the dresser with a mixture of Murphy's oil soap and a little bleach.  An antiques dealer told me to use 1/2 shellac from Lowes and 1/2 denatured alcohol and to rub that on the discolored/damaged area.  I did, and it really seemed to make the sides look better.  I did the drawer fronts and top too, and they did not come out well at all.  Now they look streaky, uneven, and on some drawer fronts, cloudy.  Is there anything i can do to restore this piece? I don't want to do a full blown refinishing job on it. Would a commercial furniture wax cover up the areas I made worse?  I think the piece is probably 1900 - 1936 and I think it has a shellac finish, though I am not certain. I was thinking it probably was since the antiques guy recommended shellac and alcohol.  Any tips would be appreciated!

At this point, I would probably attempt to remove as much of the old shellac as possible, by wiping it off with an alcohol-soaked rag. Use plenty of alcohol, turn the rag frequently, and grab a new one before it becomes too saturated. Once the surface is clear of old finish, your new topcoat should adhere nicely.

I don't have much experience with shellac but, from the little I have, I would advise trying out your application technique on a large board before going back to applying shellac on your work piece. I find applying shellac to be tricky. I guess the idea is to have your rag with just the right saturation level so you can put down the finish, keeping a wet edge, get a light film, and move on. You don't want to mess with it too much once you put it down.

You could dilute your hardware-store-bought shellac for the first coat, or all the coats if you like. Try it out full strength on your sample board and dilute if you're not getting good results.

Also, you can ascertain that the original finish is shellac by using some alcohol on a q-tip to swab a small patch of finish in an inconspicuous spot. If the finish softens and starts coming off, it's shellac. Anything else won't be effected.

My preferred method for applying shellac starts with it very thin, and wiped on with a cotton rag. I like to apply a few coats this way, lightly sanding in between. For restoration, you may choose to skip sanding, or at least go VERY light, to avoid damaging the patina of the wood itself. For a beautiful, glassy topcoat, search the net for "french polish". It isn't difficult, but is a bit tedious. For faster results, Zinsser shellac is available in a rattle can for spraying.

Shellac flakes are available in many different shades if color. If your restoration would benefit from a bit of "color blending", you might consider purchasing flakes with a darker hue, and mixing them with denatured alcohol yourself. Once again, not difficult, just tedious. Shellac can produce a beautiful finish, though.