jointing and planing an 80" board

50 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Just remember that the support stands are not reference surface or an extension of the bed. Set them a solid inch lower than the beds.  They are there to support the getting the board on and off the jointer. 

True, but you can make extension beds for your jointer. I made them for my 6"  jointer out of MDF. One end can be clamped to the end of the bed & the other supported by an adjustable support to make it coplanar. Works great & takes just a few minutes to set up.

I have used very carefully placed roller stands to joint 7' long boards on my 6" short bed jointer successfully many times. I use a flat top tilting one on the outfeed. An 8 ft aluminum straightedge or a tracksaw track is essential for set up. It can be done but don't get in a hurry ,it's time consuming to set up just right.

3 hours ago, Alan G said:

People seem to like this as an alternative to a roller. I do not have one but have been thinking about trying it.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Flip-Top-Portable-Work-Support-AC9934/100618242

I've been using these for years and have no complaints. The price is right and it folds up and out of the way when not in use.

That's the flat top tilting support I was referring to. Great for catching stock coming,out of a planer, jointer or drum sander that might droop a bit before reaching the support. The tilted down surface catches the board and as it crosses the pivoting surface it tips up to flat smoothly. No hesitation that could cause a ripple in the planed/ sanded surface.