Storing blanks

Marcus Hand

A few days ago, I picked up some logs from a maple and a cherry tree that were knocked over by Hurricane Matthew. The logs are around 10 - 16" wide and most of them are about 20" long. I've anchorsealed the ends right when I got home with them. 

For space reasons, I was considering going ahead and cutting some of them into blanks and storing them that way. Is there any reason to not do this? If I'm going to risk messing up the wood, I'll just leave in log form until I use them. I've made bowls from green wood before, but I always went straight from the log to rough bowl and then let it dry in rough bowl form (anchorsealing the whole bowl).

Thanks for the advice!

How quickly do you expect to be rough turning them?  If it's going to be a while, I'd split them into halves for now.  The ends are going to check now matter how much sealant is on the ends.  Better that it check on a part that will ultimately be scrapped anyway.  You'll also have some moisture still in the middle, so the rough turning will go easier once you get to it.

47 minutes ago, Bombarde16 said:

How quickly do you expect to be rough turning them?  If it's going to be a while, I'd split them into halves for now.  The ends are going to check now matter how much sealant is on the ends.  Better that it check on a part that will ultimately be scrapped anyway.  You'll also have some moisture still in the middle, so the rough turning will go easier once you get to it.

I have quite a few logs. I will probably rough turn a few every month or so. It will probably take a year before I get to them all.