New table Saw

comp56

I'm happy with it so far, seems to have enough power for the wood I will be cutting. 

didn't take long to set this up for nice straight cuts. here is some Paduak Walnut and Hard Maple cut to 0.0156.5th with less than 0.0010 over 80" with the 5 cut test.....

8_1.jpg

7.jpg

clean...lol my whole shop is clean seeings it is a basement shop.....

20160317_142112.jpg

mi.jpg

3 minutes ago, SawDustB said:

Looks good. I've got the Ridgid with the standard fence and I've been happy with it. Where did you get this one?

it is the same fence, I added slightly planed 1/2" plywood on either side along with lexan runners, with name on backside in reverse so it would show through. Not that it mattered but I then moved the stock measuring tape that was placed with 2 sided tape on either side of the blade moved  them out enough so fence measurement is true to indicators on fence. I believe they allow for this as there was almost 5/8" of an inch extra on each end of tape.

it is the same fence, I added slightly planed 1/2" plywood on either side along with lexan runners, with name on backside in reverse so it would show through. Not that it mattered but I then moved the stock measuring tape that was placed with 2 sided tape on either side of the blade moved  them out enough so fence measurement is true to indicators on fence. I believe they allow for this as there was almost 5/8" of an inch extra on each end of tape.

Oh, that makes sense. I was wondering if you'd customized it after looking at the zero clearance insert. Nice job.

2 hours ago, collinb said:

Looks like the hybrid with the cast top (instead of granite). Correct?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

well yes and no the granite topped version was the R4511 and this is the new R4512 close but they update a few things

pretty much same saw as the Craftsman  21833

spin_prod_242069301.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, comp56 said:

well yes and no the granite topped version was the R4511 and this is the new R4512 close but they update a few things

pretty much same saw as the Craftsman  21833

spin_prod_242069301.jpg

I have the 4511. I've wondered if the granite could be swapped for iron?

But perhaps I should just leave well-enough alone.

I've had my R4512 for almost 2 years now, it's a good saw. Last time I checked, Ridgid wasn't making zero-clearance inserts for it, I ended up buying the Leecraft versions from Woodcraft. That fence looks different than what shipped with mine. But I never installed my Ridgid fence, I went straight to an Incra. It's still sitting in a box, waiting for someone on eBay to want it.

-E

Saw Parts.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

my attempt at top dust control to go with the bottom, still in the design stages, had this circular lexan tube, cut it around 2/3 and glued end caps on it. I then took a fitting and mounted in on the top with a 30 degree angle. mounted it to a fold down/fold away mounting arm. this way it is completely out of the way when not in use or folds down in place when needed. When down it has about a 2" gap from table bed I'm thinking some kind of brushes to go from the bottom to the table so wood can slide right through it, not sure yet......if anything don't look right it's cause it is just trying things.....
Here is a video trying it for the first time, cut down dust problem probably 85% maybe more for top dust control. Sure it has it's limits but it is much cleaner now.....some more tweaking but it works.....
1.thumb.jpg.5b4c99307a73398e0bf34afdd411
3.thumb.jpg.c418c0ffe86c0e6ff68c8c9ed7d8
2.thumb.jpg.a86dc1cd2bc9bfc287e349ddfebd
I've added a bushed skirt all the way around the bottom 

Several comments. Gloves are widely considered a safety hazard due to increased chance of them getting caught in a blade and pulling your hand into the blade at 3400 rpm speed. If you do have an accident you won't know it till your work piece is covered in the blood pumping from your stump. 

The other issue is the bristle skirt which frankly looked like something that could catch in the blade and pull your shroud in. I would dump the bristle skirt. Commercial versions of the above table dust shroud do not have skirts but do have a means of the shroud being pushed up by the workpiece to accommodate thicker pieces.

@minorhero I agree about the gloves however I made the shroud big enough so that it may slightly move but will not get close to blade, but I agree when operating any kind of power saw many things can happen. I got the idea from this video and recently I've seen this kind of product popping up in many different dust collection applications.