Festool MFK 700EQ router

Just Bob

I hear its a pretty good router...BUT....if you want more versatility get an of1010. When combined with part # 486052 and part # 486058, you can turn the of1010 into an edge trimmer just like the mfk. So this combo gives you a great little plunge router and an edge trimmer all in one. 

http://www.festoolproducts.com/festool-574339-of-1010-eq-router.html

http://www.festoolproducts.com/festool-486052-angle-arm.html

http://www.festoolproducts.com/festool-486058-edging-plate-of-1010-and-of-1400.html

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

I hear its a pretty good router...BUT....if you want more versatility get an of1010. When combined with part # 486052 and part # 486058, you can turn the of1010 into an edge trimmer just like the mfk. So this combo gives you a great little plunge router that and an edge trimmer all in one

Thanks Shane, since both of those attachments will work with my 1400 I will try that first.  Didn't know they existed. 

14 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Thanks Shane, since both of those attachments will work with my 1400 I will try that first.  Didn't know they existed. 

There is another accessory that I have that could be useful as well since you are getting the other...

The copier scanner part 486534 which fits in the angle arm. You can do flush trimming, rabbets etc. Its pretty cool. Check it out:

http://www.festoolproducts.com/festool-486534-copier-scanning-set-fits-of-1010-and-1400.html

I found another video of the attachments i linked in the previous post just for fun

It's my favorite router for edge banding for sure.  I had the attachments for the 1400 and it works but the router is pretty heavy and so you have to be careful to always put alot of pressure on the handle.  The mfk is alot more balanced and alot faster to setup.  You can also dial in the bit depth alot faster.  That said it is a much specialized tool so it depends if you think you do enough work for it to justify the cost.  Or in my case just wanted a new toy :D

Oh one negative about the mfk you are limited on the thickness of your edge banding.  This isn't a problem if you use commercial iron on type but if you make your own out of hardwood it can be.  I forgot the number I think it's something like 5/8"

16 minutes ago, jussi said:

It's my favorite router for edge banding for sure.  I had the attachments for the 1400 and it works but the router is pretty heavy and so you have to be careful to always put alot of pressure on the handle.  The mfk is alot more balanced and alot faster to setup.  You can also dial in the bit depth alot faster.  That said it is a much specialized tool so it depends if you think you do enough work for it to justify the cost.  Or in my case just wanted a new toy :D

Oh one negative about the mfk you are limited on the thickness of your edge banding.  This isn't a problem if you use commercial iron on type but if you make your own out of hardwood it can be.  I forgot the number I think it's something like 5/8"

Totally agree if the option is using the 0f1400. The of1010 is 4lbs lighter than the of1400 which makes a huge difference. The of1010 is also only 1.7lbs heavier than the mfk...

32 minutes ago, jussi said:

This was a concern of mine and saw that @PaulMarcel modified his to solve the problem. 

19 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Totally agree if the option is using the 0f1400. The of1010 is 4lbs lighter than the of1400 which makes a huge difference. The of1010 is also only 1.7lbs heavier than the mfk...

The weight of the 1400 was the other concern, I think I am going to split the difference and pick up the OF1010.  Always great info, thanks.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Alan G said:

What am I missing here... Wouldn't a flush trim bit in the router accomplish the same thing?

It would.  I think the big advantage with something like an MFK700 is the setup time and precision.  With a flush trim bit you have to clamp on a supporting piece or be really careful to avoid tipping.  Even then it's still not too hard to gouge the surface.  The mfk allows you to quickly dial the depth so it's ever so proudly above the panel and the sanding afterwards will get the edge banding dead flush.  It also comes with a 1.5 degree horizontal base that further helps you prevent from gouging. 

All that said it's by no means a necessity.  And one advantage the flush trim bit has is that it follows the contour of the plywood much better than the MFK with it's comparatively much larger base.  So if your plywood has some serious waviness you will have a bit more clean up. 

You're asking about the MFK700 I assume?  If so it's is much lighter than a 2-1/4 router.  Closer to a palm router weight.  With the horizontal base (which is all I've used so far) you just hold it and the handle with a small downward pressure but you're by no means bearing down on it.  Since it was designed to be used horizontally it feels very natural in your hands.   This is another benefit I forgot to mention.  With a normal router and flush trim bit, unless you made some kind of  jig for it you have to use it vertically.  This can be a cumbersome if you the piece is large.  That said I've also seen several home made jigs using palm routers to use in the horizontal position.