Table Saw Help

Gallo 54

Hey guys hate to be the new to wood working broke guy but I'm in the market for a new table saw and need some advice.  I'm looking to spend no more than $800 on a table saw and was hoping to get some suggestions.  I know this is a critical part of my shop and don't want to break the bank but want to make a good investment.  PLEASE HELP!!!

What are you going to use it for  other than the obvious? If you're going to make kitchen cabinets your needs are significantly different than if you're going to make dining tables and chairs. Knowing your intended use will help people make a better suggestion but, as far as the best bang for the buck I have to agree that grizzly is probably your best choice. Many of us started with used contractor saws. The sears craftsman 113. Models that were made by Emerson during the 70s and are fairly decent machines that should be able to be picked up used for about $100.this would let you get your feet wet and determine what direction you're really going to go before dropping large amounts of money on an inappropriate machine.

• Like 1

Is 800 only your budget for table saw and you are planning to buy other tools as well with a different budget.  Additionally what are your first few projects?  

That said,  buy used. Craigslist is your friend.  Used table saws are everywhere and a fraction of the cost of new. For 400 you can get a very nice used contractor saw or an older model cabinet saw. For 800 you can get a rather nice cabinet saw used. 

Ahh so you already have a shop of tools and you need to upgrade a craftsman table saw? What do you not like about the craftsman?  Is it an hp issue or fence or something else? I ask because it's important we don't replicate the same problem.  For instance a lot of the new saws in your price range will likely have motors of similar hp to a craftsman contractor.  

Where at in WV are you?  I see some good unisaws in or around the Pittsburgh area and again depending on your issue with the craftsman this may be an upgrade. 

• Like 1

If you already have a shop full of tools, I'd upgrade to full budgetary potential and get the Grizzly 0715P.  I started with a used contractor saw too, filled up with most other major machines, then found the contractor saw no longer fully met my needs.  I upgraded to the 715 and aside from Sawstop safety, it's everything I wanted.

• Like 1

Check used saws would be my suggestion for the most bang for buck if you're somewhat mechanically inclined to check it out for any issues.

I have a Ridgid R4512 I bought new, no issues with it and works fine for what I use it for. I'm not building cabinets.

Remember to add $200 on top of the saw base price to get a good blade, dado stack, zero clearance inserts, and a nice miter gauge or crosscut sled.