2 tools $1000 Budget

bushwacked

Wife just agreed to the budget last night ... mainly it is our Christmas budget we each get this year.

Sooooo...I need a Planer/Jointer/Dust Collection

With that need list, I figured I would go after the planer and DC, mainly because I can make jigs for the planer to get my boards parallel and cut the straight edge on the table saw with some more jigs ... Is at least my thought process.

I am pretty sure I want to go with the Dewalt 13" 735 planer. with my budget, I dont see any reason to go with anything less ... do you?

Then that leave me with DC. I know there is tons of reading on DC and CFM and blah blah blah, but with my budget it is not like I am getting a CV or anything nice like that. It will be a standard model like grizzly/shop fox/jet ect ... However, I have no idea out of the basic models, which ones I should be looking at to narrow it down?

I will attach the DC to my table saw/ planer / sanding area / miter saw station. If I can only open 1 gate at a time, then that is fine with me. If i can use it on 2 at once, then more power to me.

Any help on that area?

The DW735 is a good planer and if you are set on that, you may have to buy new because you don't see many being resold.  You might get lucky.  I would personally look for a used jointer and used DC in order to stay within budget.  It depends how 'hand tool oriented' you are but woodworking became a lot more fun for me when I purchased a jointer. 

1 hour ago, RichardA said:

735 and an HF dc and you'll still have about $100 in your pocket, for hoses and connections.

The HF DC works... But it takes some work to make it work. I bought one, and sat it ontop of a Super Dust Deputy (~$200), trust me, dealing with the bags and clamp on the unit will make you never want to turn it on. A cyclone and trash can are the way to go. If you want an upgrade in airflow, someone posted recently about dropping a Rikon impeller into the unit, as a nice upgrade (~$80 I think).

The 735 is well regarded, hard to go wrong there. If you feel the need to save a little money, the 734 is also a workhorse. The primary differences are the chip blower (less important with a DC) and a second (slower) optional feed rate, which leaves a smoother surface (96 cuts-per-inch and 179 cpi).

The harbor freight dust collector works fine out of the box if you move it from tool to tool (don't expect to let it sit in the corner and run 50 feet of hose off of it without basically taking it apart and turning it into a cyclone) Moving it tool to tool it will do a great job for anything that isnt a large drum sander. Certainly will work fine for any normal sized planer and table saw. 

That said you have been around long enough to know that used tools are a very good buy. Any reason you don't want to go that route? 

How far you willing to drive? 

Try these guys if they are in range. Look like they want to unload these things and the dust collector looks like an older model jet.

http://lubbock.craigslist.org/tld/5806559902.html

If you say you are willing to pay 60% of their asking you will likely walk away with them.

Not sure if these are the same people or not:

http://lubbock.craigslist.org/tls/5833246964.html

I rebuilt a parks planer and its a decent machine. Better then a 735 not as good as say an older model 12" powermatic. This one is missing the belt cover but those are available still. Plus they mention other tools, if its a different seller then the previous link you may want to contact them.

1 minute ago, bushwacked said:

Haha. Bring it down on your work trip Kev emoji106.png

I was also looking at the 734... worth seriously considering?

Don't know when I'm going back to Texas..  Going to Baton Rouge in December but, I'm not driving on that one.

I've heard good things about the 734 as well but, if given the choice, I'd take the 735

4 hours ago, RichardA said:

735 and an HF dc and you'll still have about $100 in your pocket, for hoses and connections.

I'm witcha all the way there Rick. I have both and wouldn't take anything for them! 

I have a friend that bought the 734 to save a buck and is still kicking his wife in the butt. But he doesn't have a dc either.

Don't know when I'm going back to Texas..  Going to Baton Rouge in December but, I'm not driving on that one.

I've heard good things about the 734 as well but, if given the choice, I'd take the 735

Well dang!

Why the 735? Just curious...

I'm witcha all the way there Rick. I have both and wouldn't take anything for them! 

I have a friend that bought the 734 to save a buck and is still kicking his wife in the butt. But he doesn't have a dc either.

Did you modify the D.C.?

Does he not like the planet cause no D.C. And that planer struggles with no D.C.?

I've heard changing the bags on the HF one is a pain to change??

27 minutes ago, bushwacked said:

Well dang!

Why the 735? Just curious...

Did you modify the D.C.?

Does he not like the planet cause no D.C. And that planer struggles with no D.C.?

I've heard changing the bags on the HF one is a pain to change??

I did modify it to look something like this.image.jpg

pretty good size ( 2'x4') foot print though. Investigate HF dc conversion with Thien Baffle and Wynn filter. With a 25'x4" hose from Rockler, it'll suck your socks off. When I connect it to my 735, I have to turn the planer on first, otherwise it will pull itself to the planer. HF has them on sale occasionally and with the coupon that comes out frequently, it's hard to beat. I used a 35 gal. Fiber drum as the primary collector and epoxied a thin strip of plexiglass to the side as a sight glass. 

One of the things that always seems to get left out of the conversation in regards to the 735 is the fact that it has four screw columns, on at each corner of the machine.  I believe this is one of the reasons that the 735 does such a great job of eliminating snip.  Most lunch box planers have two screw columns one on each side in the center allowing more movement of the cutter head as the wood goes through.

• Like 2

I had the HF DC for 10 years and if you move the hose from machine to machine it works great. I did get better bags from Grizzly to replace the King size pillow cases it came with. 

Ok good to know.

So you're saying it is not good enough to put in dedicated runs to it? I'm not talking crazy lengths but it is a 2 car garage. With machines all in a 1 car space ... well machines that would use the dust collection.

f62fde1769d6302ff565474f6aa3c96a.png

On a Side note... I was looking into this one besides the HF DC

Just adding to the list. I have the HF DC and 735. I have 2 blast gates installed to switch between the table saw and the planer when i have it connected. Both work great but as I'm sure your aware the collector is for chip collection and doesn't remove the harmful dust.

I was going to modify mine but I'd rather make stuff I'm interested in then mess around with a dust collector. Use them both as the sit save the time for making furniture to pay for a better upgrade, or a Powermatic PJ-882 HH.