eBay fail

Violet Arrow

7tpi is rip. if you want crosscut you need anywhere from 10 tpi to 14 tpi. Sharpening a rip is easy, two strokes on every tooth straight across. crosscut is totally different, you have to allow for "fleam" and angle, and every other tooth gets sharpened on one side, then turn the saw and do the same on the other side.  Then you need to "set" the teeth so they are all set the same.   Take the saw to a professional sharpener, and tell him what you want done.  But my best advise is leave that saw rip, and buy one for crosscut.  And yours is very dull. The blade needs to be jointed and sharpened as is with very little set in the teeth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichardA said:

7tpi is rip. if you want crosscut you need anywhere from 10 tpi to 14 tpi. 

Not strictly. I have an 8tpi Disston Crosscut that works fine, though the surface left behind is a little rough. It all depends on what the saw is for. Fewer teeth is faster, especially if you're cutting softwood most of the time.

The picture is a touch blurry, but I think that actually is filed for crosscut. In the first image, the filed faces look to be at an angle to the sawplate. I think the saw is just really dull though, making it hard to distinguish.

sawteeth.jpg

I added red and blue lines to follow what I see as the tooth geometry.

If you have a triangular file, drop it in a gullet, and figure out where it naturally wants to sit, or "locks-into" the teeth. If it locks in at a 90 degree angle, it's rip. if it locks in at a 30 or 60ish degree angle, then it's crosscut.

Edited by BonPacific
Better image
  • Like 1