IPE 4x4 load bearing capabilities

cmose

Hello forum,

I'm quite a wood working neophyte with some experience in areas like rough carpentry. I was hoping that someone might be able to provide some insight into the structural capabilities of Ipe 4x4s. I have a few Ipe 4x4s leftover from building my deck and was thinking about building a swing set with them. I was curious if they were strong enough to build an adult-weight supporting swing set structure. Hopefully this isn't a completely inappropriate question for the forum.

Thanks

I'll try to get a sketch up this evening, but was targeting a kids-style swing set with space for 2 swings, probably simple A support legs (honestly, I'd probably cheat and use one of the steel A brackets). I haven't been able to find any span information for Ipe dimensional lumber so far, only for deck boards. I tried to make sense of the Elastic Modulus and Modulus of Rupture listed on wood-database.com/ipe but sadly I have insufficient knowledge to translate that into the span capabilities of an Ipe 4x4.

9 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

I get .28" of sag at eight feet. Remember that 4x4 is 3.5x3.5 and the sag is .035 per foot. I don't think that is a deal breaker but a few things could be. Be absolutely sure there are no defects and that you have good straight grain. 

Doh! Right you are. I'd make a lousy engineer. Quarter inch of sag still isn't bad though.

Being an exotic, the strengths of ipe are not published in standard engineering manuals ;)

But, based on the wood database values you linked, it seems to be about twice as strong and twice as stiff as say a douglas fir.

So assuming the ipe is of similar grading (clear no knots) I would expect about twice the capacity out of an ipe 4x4 than a doug-fir 4x4. So if the swings would work with a good 4x4 from the lumberyard, it should work with the ipe.

Do realize that does not mean you can replace a 4x8 doug-fir beam with a 4x4 ipe.

A 3.5" x 3.5" Ipe beam using Wood Database's MOR and Young's modulus, information would take a 7,640 lb center load to fail. Bending is a bigger issue but i calculated .22" on an 8 foot span with 600 lbs. This is also worst case because the loading is going to be more distributed which gives the beam more capacity.

7 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

A 3.5" x 3.5" Ipe beam using Wood Database's MOR and Young's modulus, information would take a 7,640 lb center load to fail. Bending is a bigger issue but i calculated .22" on an 8 foot span with 600 lbs. This is also worst case because the loading is going to be more distributed which gives the beam more capacity.

Don't forget the mounting. Most swing mounting is drilled through. This will affect the calculation quite a bit. I doubt it will affect the swing weight figures, but I doubt you get anywhere near a ton. That's based on causing one to fail on the job after a lag had been drilled through.