Protecting my cast iron tops over the winter

Scott Meggison

I am getting ready to go South for the winter. I live in Michigan and have a stand alone shop. Looking for ideas to protect my cast iron tops, (table saw, band saw, jointer etc). I will be gone from early December to mid April. My first thought is to use a heavy coat of wax and wrap them in plastic painters drop cloths, or would the plastic just hold in the condensation? Any ideas will be appreciated.

1 minute ago, estesbubba said:

CRC 3-36 is so much easier than T9 + wax. About once a month I put very thin layer on cast iron, go to bed, cut wood in the morning - that's it! I also used on it hand planes and I've never had any problems with it and finishes. 

For long-term storage I would just use a heavy coat. 

Sounds pretty good, I found some on Amazon. Think I'll give it a try

Thanks for your help

I started using 3-36 early this year and it works really well. Boeshield is also very good. On my cast iron surfaces I apply either of these in conjunction with a layer of paste wax. I cover the whole cast surface with a sheet of hardboard smooth side up and never get rust problems. The hardboard is always on until I need to cut something. I always replace it after a session.

I live in similar weather (south western Ontario) and one of the autumn jobs is waxing the top of the table saw.  If there is build up on it (like the BLO I just spilled) I wet sand with wd40 and 400 grit, clean with naptha, then wax with any non-silicone wax.  Been working for years without a problem with items I have on hand any way.  Plastic over top will only make it rust faster with the condensation that gathers under it with temperature changes.

• 1 month later...