Table saw sleds ... how fancy?

bushwacked

About to be in need of creating a table saw sled so I was doing some research and watching all the older videos again.

My question is I have always had a basic sled but does it actually pay off in the end to make it a little nicer?

d1bea0e37bfbcdd95bec149f63a9b0b3.png

Example is nick ferrys sled. David pacuito has something similar too.

Thoughts? Waste of time and money?

13 hours ago, Cliff said:

I like Nick's but it just seems like a lot of hassle. I really have come to a conclusion that the one thing I want is a fence that allows me to do repeatable stop blocks at like 3+ foot. So ... thats where I come down into the SCMS camp. 

I hear ya with the repeatable long cuts but it always seems like my SCMS is out of square and i fiddle with it endlessly and can never get it as perfect as the sled.having to Finesse length slightly > not square cuts i guess to me.

There's nothing fancy about mine..  I did install a T-track in the back fence to allow for stop blocks.

If I were going to get "fancy", I'd consider what @gee-dub did with the inserts..  I think it was him, correct me if I'm wrong..

This picture was from the Rocker build but, shows the t-track

oRJSrn.jpg

Coincidentally I just built the Nick Ferry sled yesterday but modified it to have a replaceable ZCI and to be able to accommodate the blade at 45degrees. Nick said he wished he made the t-track openings larger to handle longer bolts but I didn't understand why he wouldn't just end the t tracks short of the rear fence (maybe to maximize capacity?), so that is what I did. It's a real easy build I wouldn't let the minor additional time investment stop you, but the Kreg parts aren't cheap...

Only having used it a couple times I like how quickly I can cut to length with the stop vs fiddling around to cut to a marked line. Not necessary to have a fancy sled, but so far I dig it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although I am generally a feature-freak my sleds have just the basics:

• Replaceable ZCI for bed and fence.
  • Some means of aligning the fence.

Beyond that it becomes personal.  Miter sleds went down the road when I learned to make accurate miters with my miter gauge.  I do still have a small sled for cutting bevels (for box making) that doubles as a thin stock sled (as opposed to a SCMS).  I have runners of QSWO, UHMW, aluminum and maple.  They all perform well but, I live in a desert basin and the humidity swing is almost non-existent.

Although I am generally a feature-freak my sleds have just the basics:

• Replaceable ZCI for bed and fence.
  • Some means of aligning the fence.
Beyond that it becomes personal.  Miter sleds went down the road when I learned to make accurate miters with my miter gauge.  I do still have a small sled for cutting bevels (for box making) that doubles as a thin stock sled (as opposed to a SCMS).  I have runners of QSWO, UHMW, aluminum and maple.  They all perform well but, I live in a desert basin and the humidity swing is almost non-existent.

Do you have a link to that thread of a pic? Just curious what it looks like

Nothing fancy about mine. Quick and very easy to make. Basic but it works supremely well and I'm not forever chasing my tail with minor adjustments.

I have a sliding table (European table saw) if I want to make angled crosscuts or miters.

It is of course your time if you want to make something fancy.IMG_0326.JPG

• 1 month later...