French Harvest Table Build...sigh

jmaichel

I know there is a lot of hate toward "Farmhouse Tables" in fact I dislike most of them. I see so many people building them out of construction lumber and nails, then selling them all over the internet.

Here is a little bit of the backstory:

We have a store bought pub height table that we have had for about four years now. We were not even in the market for a new table and my long-term plan was always to build a table once we settled down. A few days ago some of our friends posted a dining set for sale and I immediately messaged them to let them know I was interested but just needed to take a look first. It was a mid-century modern set and they were only asking $400 for it. Initially, I had my reservations if it was in fact from the 50's or not. I went and checked it out and it looked original to the 50s, both my wife and I liked it but we were not sure if it was going to fit in our current dining area. I told here that I would get back to here in 30 minutes. On the way home I told my wife to send her a text and ask who the manufacturer was again because I could not remember. Well, this is when the deal went south. As soon as the friend started typing in the manufacturer her phone automatically pulled up other pieces of furniture from that same manufacturer (Mount Airy) and saw that some furniture pieces were going for $6500 on the internet. At this point, the friend decided that she needed to do some further investigation into what she had before she decided to sell it. They are our friends so we were okay with. I did tell her that there needed to be some restoration work done and the fact the chairs had already be reupholstered might hurt the value a little. I offered her $1000 and said that is the best I could do but she said her uncle was going to take some pictures of the set to an appraiser and then make a decision. I completely understand where she is coming from but I almost certain she is going to want more money. I was a little dissapointed and so was my wife, she really was sick of the pub height table and wanted a regular dining set. She suggested that we go look for one but I told here that there was no way I was going to buy another table from a furniture store and that's when the idea of a building a table started getting some traction. 

I long to build a proper dining table but the problem is that here in HI wood is ridiculous and selection is not the best. The dining room table is on my bucket list but I want to do it right, no compromises. The set my friend was selling was just too good of a deal to pass up and we would have been happy with that set for a long time. I refuse to buy another table so our options are stick with what have or possibly build one, enter the harvest table. The harvest table will work well as an everyday table in our kitchen. I imagine that when we settle down our house will have separate dining room and there will still be a need for a table in our kitchen. My wife likes the style and I don't hate it as long as I have creative control over the build. I might be in the minority here but I actually like when the bases are painted. I will probably use old fashioned milk paint for the base just not sure what color. I do know that I am also planning a stepback cupboard build that will also be painted. I hate the look of most traditional farmhouse tables with turned legs. I want tapered legs and will probably add beading to the stretchers. Not sure what I am going to make the base out of. Poplar is my default choice because I can get 8/4 clear poplar for a good price. I will more than likely build the top out 8/4 cherry or maple and tongue and groove joints for the top. I hate breadboards so I will not be adding them to the top and am fine my top not staying flat over time. This still just an idea and might not end up happening but just thought I would share. 

• Like 1

For materials, have you talked with other woodworkers on the islands.  A forum I moderated on had 4 or 5 islanders who were pretty active.  I assume they had a reliable source for materials.  Admittedly your costs are in proportion with your locale.  Natives I've known who moved to the mainland way over-bought on their first trip to the grocery store; they thought EVERYTHING was on sale ;-)

6 hours ago, gee-dub said:

For materials, have you talked with other woodworkers on the islands.  A forum I moderated on had 4 or 5 islanders who were pretty active.  I assume they had a reliable source for materials.  Admittedly your costs are in proportion with your locale.  Natives I've known who moved to the mainland way over-bought on their first trip to the grocery store; they thought EVERYTHING was on sale ;-)

I feel like I have a pretty good source for materials and the prices seem right for the area, they are just a lot higher than on the mainland. I am set on poplar for the base and I don't mind paying higher prices for some nice wide clear boards. 

10 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

It would be nice to add some koa accents to suit where you are currently living. I love that wood and it is exceedingly difficult to get over in England.

Terry, I actually am not a huge fan of Koa. On a small piece yes but on a big table more than likely not going to make it into my project even as an accent. 

8 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Poplar is an excellent choice for the painted parts, as it accepts paint quite well. Under paint, though, wide solid boards aren't necessary for aesthetics, and may give you problems with wood movement.

I have worked with poplar plenty, and it takes paint very well. I was actually referring to the top of the table, it will probably be made from some wide 8/4 hardwood, I am thinking cherry. 

I tried to sell my wife on a simple trestle table design today and it was not well received. She did found several other trestle tables that she liked but I hated all of them equally. They were too ornate and had big beefy legs. 

• Like 1

Your thread reminds me of a nice little series I saw from KingPost on YouTube, he made this sweet neoclassical table with a finish on the top and paint on the base - client request. Not 1:1 your scenario, but I think the natural-ish top and painted base can look really good. 

This has the beefy legs that you don't like, but it's an excuse to share a pretty decent YT channel.

I'm about to start a similar project. I too wanted a sculpted trestle table of some sort.  What did my wife want?  A standard four (turned) leg farmhouse table.  Ordered some legs from tableleg.com.  Soft maple legs/aprons painted white with an 8/4 cherry top.  Not really exciting at all, but th boss wants what the boss wants.

Plans changed one more time. Our friends with the mid-century modern set decided to honor our offer of $1000 and we said yes. No plan to build a table anymore but at some point, I will refinish the Mount Airy set I just bought. 

I am horrible at wood identification when its comes to vintage furniture but it looks like walnut, which would make sense for the time period. The table top looks like it might have a veneer on it but I am not 100% sure. 

I noticed some splits near the ends of the legs that I need to fix ASAP. The original owner (I am now the 4th owner) reupholstered the chairs herself (they look bad), so I will need to either reupholster them at some point. I am pretty sure she covered the entire seat, which I believe is not what the original chair had on it. I am tempted to remove the upholstery on one of the chairs just to see what is underneath. I also not sure if I want to tackle a refinish project before I move next year. 

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

3 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Yeah,  table top grain definately looks like sequential cut veneer. 

The table isn't my style but the hutch and small cabinet are pretty cool. 

That is my thoughts exactly. 

The table is my least favorite of all the pieces but it's a set and I like it as a whole. The table is going to have a tablecloth covering it 90% of the time anyway. I have little one's and they are messy as hell. Tablecloths make clean up a heck of a lot easier.

1 hour ago, Lester Burnham said:

Those chairs are awesome. Very unique.

I love the chairs, that is originally what caught my eye with this set. The reupholstery job is hideous but I think the original upholstery is still on underneath that gaggle of blue cloth. I think I am going to remove them soon and see what is underneath. 

I am on the fence on whether or not I am going to start the restoration work. I still have a workbench that needs to be finished first. I might be it off until we move next year. 

• Like 1