More Cutting Boards

..Kev

12 hours ago, estesbubba said:

When Kev shows up at your shop, things get done! Nice work guys. 

I am mainly in charge of keeping Kev busy and out of trouble while he is here in Northern California.

12 hours ago, TIODS said:

9 total boards!

If there was enough wood for 10 board Kev would have been in trouble because all clamps on the rack were used on the 9.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Elroy Skimms said:

All that in one day? I helped a friend with a couple of cutting boards last year and we were letting each glue-up sit for 24-hours before cutting them down. It makes for a great filler between steps of larger projects. But if you can knock out 9 in 1 day, we're doing something wrong.

-E

Well, for starters, you have to remember that I'm currently in California so, the temperatures are fairly warm.  Each glue sat for about 2 hours before moving on to the next step.  They only had to be "cured enough" to keep moving.  3 glue ups in a day is about as hard as I'd feel comfortable pushing it.

22 hours ago, TIODS said:

Well, for starters, you have to remember that I'm currently in California so, the temperatures are fairly warm.

I miss Southern California weather, but I love having 4 seasons. Southern California you have Spring and Wildfire season, which is just like Spring except windy.

What kind of glue did you use? I'm assuming not Titebond 3 due to it's longer assembly time.

-E

13 minutes ago, Elroy Skimms said:

I miss Southern California weather, but I love having 4 seasons. Southern California you have Spring and Wildfire season, which is just like Spring except windy.

What kind of glue did you use? I'm assuming not Titebond 3 due to it's longer assembly time.

-E

That's normally what I use but, just used regular TB for these.

1 minute ago, Immortan D said:

Very nice boards! I see Chet is well stocked in the good quality clamps department. That sure helps batching things out in a short period of time.

We were taxing the limits of his collection on those!  But, yes, he has plenty for most projects.

• Like 1

I was hoping pics were being taken!! 

Great looking boards there Chet and Kev. Does mixing the end grain with not end grain on the checkerboards effect anything with the wood movement? It wont pull away will it?

Marc covered this at one point, either in his channel or wood talk and the consensus was, yes, it will cause trouble if the board is exposed to any fluctuations in humidity. Perhaps keeping it indoors at the same house, you won't though, I'm not sure... At my house there's too much variation indoors to even risk it (houses aren't sealed well, no insulation, cheap windows, large fluctuations in weather from day to night).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, bushwacked said:

I was hoping pics were being taken!! 

Great looking boards there Chet and Kev. Does mixing the end grain with not end grain on the checkerboards effect anything with the wood movement? It wont pull away will it?

I've never had issue with the long grain stuff only on the outside edges. 

8 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

No wonder he stays up there,  we tried to drink ourselves out of a mexican restaurant when he came down here. 

I think I remember a little food in there too..  Mostly beer tho ;)