Laminate Top Color For Router Table

brianb

Hi All,

I am rebuilding my router table fence to have better dust collection and a split fence (among other features). I'm building the base out of MDF with the intention of covering it in counter top laminate (I have done this with other jigs to great success). My question is on the color. Not that the color itself matters, but the laminate I have on hand is fairly dark, and I'm wondering if anyone has ever done this and if they had issues seeing their work surface? I don't have any extensive eye-site issues, but I know most of these are white, which I assume is to amplify light. I would prefer to use what I have due to the combination of expense, and the fact that I can't seem to find laminate in smaller sizes, so buying a whole sheet seems excessive. 

Thoughts, or places to purchase small quantities of laminate are appreciated. 

I went with a granite patterned laminate for my top and it seems fine to me. I have needed to use blue tape on the surface when I wanted to place marks, but I find usually I end up wanting to do that where the insert plate is anyway. I was able to buy an end of a sheet for about $10 from a place that makes countertops near me.

• Like 1

Agreed.  I have an almond color on mine.  Pencil marks show up easily and erase easily.  Even if I didn't put witness marks on the surfaces I would want a light color.  Laminate isn't expensive so I wouldn't do something questionable that I have to live with for years just to save a few bucks.