Bent laminated wood separating

ArtK

I have an alder sled style headboard that I left in storage over the winter (in the Pacific NW) and one side of the laminated frame has separated (see photos).  I have tried applying rags soaked in hot water in the separation and then clamping, hoping that might close the joint a bit, but no success.  It looks like the initial laminations were both glued and secured with tiny brads.

I don't think that gluing and clamping will hold the joint closed in the long run because of the tension in the wood.  My current thoughts are to either use wood screws and glue or to cut small kerfs with a coping saw to help reduce some of the tension before gluing.  Either way I will need to take care to refinish as best I can to hide either screw holes or kerf cuts.

I would appreciate any thoughts as to how best to effect repairs.

Thanks, Art

IMG_1133.JPG

IMG_1132.JPG

IMG_1131.JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

If you can shape a pair of cauls so the insides match the curve of the post and use "C" clamps starting at bottom of the split and then work your way up, using epoxy as suggested above I think you can avoid the screws.  The "C" clamps provide a lot of clamping force and the cauls help spread the pressure. It might take a number of clamps. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for the warm welcome and advice.  I had made cauls (covered in socks in photo) and can clamp them up though I think I will still have a bit of separation at the top.  I have not worked with epoxies in wood joints before, so this is new territory for me.  Any specific thoughts on tinting or dyeing the epoxy to minimize a possibly unsightly gap at the top?

Thanks, Art

IMG_1139.JPG

Clear epoxy will probably be fine, but if there is a gap that your clamps won't close, epoxy can be mixed with an assortment of colorants and fillers. Sanding dust from the same type of wood is a common one. Transtint dye is often used as well. I have used metallic powders where a contrasting line is desired. Some people use paints, but I recommend against anything latex-based. In my experience, it prevents the epoxy from fully curing.

You need to reshape your cauls. As it is, there is no way you can make that look presentable. Anything you fill that gap with is going to look just like filler, and the shape of the piece will have been changed so you'll have to do some reshaping & then refinishing.

I'm not sure cauls is the way to go here. A bunch of small clamps & some very thin plywood to protect the piece will do a better job of closing that gap right up.

On 10/24/2016 at 3:55 PM, TIODS said:

If the joint closes tightly, I'd consider using epoxy and clamps to get it closed up.

Welcome to the forums..  There's a few of us here from the PNW

This would be my approach. I'd also consider a mechanical fastener at the top of the piece, counterbored and then plugged with a dowel - could use a darker wood to make it more decorative, and then do the same on the other side since it's better than 50/50 you have the same exposure on the other side of the headboard.

I would get the wood wet with hot water and steam. Try to work a small thin scrap of wood down halfway through the separation. The goal is to over bend the wood so when it springs back after drying. Your closer to your shape. Then simply re-glue.

Throw the sock out. Clamp using cauls. Your going to need more than one clamp. You need clamping pressure and that may dent the wood. Don't worry about the dent, it will steam back out after your repairs are done. 

-Ace-