dust extractor recommendation

namluke

Not sure about the verbiage difference but  what you linked to is a dust extractor like you said.  Extractors are really used for pulling dust and small chips from handheld tools.  They are not optimized for and often wouldn't even work for a table saw and planer. 

If you want to collect from those machines, you will need to look into a dust collector.  They are larger and much less portable than the item you linked to. 

Not sure about the verbiage difference but  what you linked to is a dust extractor like you said.  Extractors are really used for pulling dust and small chips from handheld tools.  They are not optimized for and often wouldn't even work for a table saw and planer. 

If you want to collect from those machines, you will need to look into a dust collector.  They are larger and much less portable than the item you linked to. 

If his planer is a smaller lunchbox style and has an impeller then small extractors actually work fine, until they get full that is. I did it that way until i got my DC.

Op whats your budget? What are your tools? I wouldnt waste your money on that Sysvac, it has extremely small capacity and is designed for portability. I think it would be nearly useless on a tablesaw or planer.

Ridgid and Shopvac make decent affordable extractors that will be better than nothing if your tools are smaller (lunchbox planer, portable saw). Festool makes slightly better (but smaller) extractors for 5x the cost, but again they are geared towards handheld tools and portability. If youre using large shop machines then youll really want a dust collector.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, sheperd80 said:

If his planer is a smaller lunchbox style and has an impeller then small extractors actually work fine, until they get full that is. 

Ridgid and Shopvac make decent affordable extractors that will be better than nothing if your tools are smaller (lunchbox planer, portable saw). Festool makes slightly better (but smaller) extractors for 5x the cost, but again they are geared towards handheld tools and portability. If youre using large shop machines then youll really want a dust collector.

Even The smallest lunchbox planers at 12" with a head rotating 10k rpm can very quickly and easily clog a small diameter hose. Add that to the inadequacy of a pleated filter and the small capacity and I don't see that ever working fine. 

• Like 1

Even The smallest lunchbox planers at 12" with a head rotating 10k rpm can very quickly and easily clog a small diameter hose. Add that to the inadequacy of a pleated filter and the small capacity and I don't see that ever working fine. 

Well its far from ideal, no argument there. But it kept the mountain of hamster substrate off my floor succesfully for quite awhile until i upgraded.

We need to know more about your situation to give sound advice OP.

7 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

I use a Ridgid vac with my  13" Delta planer & it did very well. Filled up in a hurry though. 

A friend has the Festool, and likes it for hand power tools, although the narrow hose tends to clog, if chips are involved.

It's very portable, locks securely on Festool devices; it's entirely  unsuitable for table saws, planers and the like.

For your budget, I'd rather get dollies and use the tools outside.  If you're pretty handy, there are plans online to make your own cyclone unit that might fit in your budget.  To buy it off the shelf will cost North of $1k for an appropriate cyclone.

Edited by Pondhockey
Add info

Thank you for all your replies.

Its mainly for my track saw and jigsaw which i will be using in a spare room, but i am looking to get a table saw next.

Im thinking about getting a

Bosch GTS10XC 10" Table Saw so was just looking for something that can handle that along with my hand tools.

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php?option=shop&page=shop.product_details&product_id=16837&l=uk&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&gclid=Cj0KEQjwqMHABRDVl6_hqKGDyNIBEiQAN-O9hPLJOFGEfBZi0pIwe2bBdPxlVQkv2_nYW2cryH4No6AaAkAd8P8HAQ

Its mainly going to be used for projects around the house.

Luke there are differences between the type of fines that can be collected by a shop vac and an extractor. Unfortunately they both can't achieve the same performance,

A tracksaw and a jigsaw generate fines that can only be collected efficiently with a shop vac as they are very light in mass. A shop vac generates a high velocity but low volume air flow. This is ideal for hand held power tools. They normally have 38mm diameter hoses and adapters for connection to hand held power tools. Shop vacs don't have enough air flow to pickup large chips.

A good table saw on the other hand generally has a 4" port (100mm) and generates larger dust particles and chips. These are intended to be picked up by a vacuum extractor or chip collector. A jointer (planer in UK speak) and a thicknesser (planer in US speak - different name same tool) also generate large chips. These are intended to be picked up by a large chip extractor.

The vacuum extractor or chip collector has low velocity but high volume air flow. It can shift more air but a much lower velocity than a shop vac. It can't pickup fine dust as well as a shop vac. See the difference?

You can't just buy one extractor and hope it works on all machines as it won't. If you think you can put adapters onto a 4" hose to reduce it to 38mm then that is feasible. However it won't work remotely as well as a dedicated shop vac. The velocity of the air is still the same as it is at full 4" diameter so lots of dust will be left behind.

That particular table saw is a contractor saw ideal for cutting construction grade timbers and although a Bosch is not really up to accurate work required when making furniture for instance. It seems to have mediocre reviews on several sites including Axminster. Main concerns are:

• accuracy of the miter gauge and slots.
  • It's also made from aluminium. If you can try to get a table saw with cast iron top as it is heavier and more stable (I can't suggest anything at that price point as you may have to spend a little more - have a look at axminster.co.uk for an idea). As you having been looking at Festool machinery you may have enough budget to go for a cast iron TS.
  • Problems reported with the accuracy and stability of the fence.
  • Noisy due to it having a brush motor (universal motor) rather than an induction motor.

I'm not trying to put you off as it is your money just highlighting a few areas of concern that other people have reported. You might end up buying it and be constantly frustrated by it or you may be lucky and get a good one. Whatever saw you buy throw away the bundled blade that comes with it (normally only good for cutting firewood) and get a decent 40 tooth universal blade.