Planer Stand for Dewalt 735

bushwacked

My stand is a 36" wide x 23" deep cabinet. Very much like a kitchen base cabinet with 2 doors and 2 rollout shelves in each drawer.  I added 3 side mounted casters that raise the cabinet if I need to move it for longer pieces.  Why 3?  It will never be tippy if the floor is even.  2 on one end of the cabinet and 1 on the other.

When I make mine I plan to have it's bed at 37-1/2" to match the (future, if I ever finish it) workbench.  I also plan to raise up the base on my table saw so its top is at the same height.  I don't have a ton of room in my shop for infeed and outfeed tables so I think I'm going to make any surface an infeed/ outfeed table.  Same with the miter stand if I ever get around to building one. 

(if anyone see's an issue in this thinking let me know as I'm still a noob)

12 minutes ago, RichardA said:

I'm 6'2" and 37 1/2 worked well for me at the workbench... Lifting all your tools to that height is going to be a PITA.. the average height for most tools is around 34" to 35".  I tried raising my tools, and it was a real Pain  to do and keep accuracy.

I'm about the same height, maybe just under 6'2".  That's good to hear that height works for you.  I played around with blocks of wood on an old workbench and that height felt good to work on.

Luckily, I currently only have one tool that has a permanent height and that is my table saw.  I'm thinking I can shim it up with a piece of plywood in its mobile base.  May have to add a rim of 2x under the plywood or something.  It is just about a half inch under my bench now (it's just my benchtop sitting on saw horses.  I'll finish it someday I promise lol) but it works well with my panel sled for cutting long material.  Thats what gave me the idea.  I've been just pulling the table saw away from the wall at an angle to give the clearance needed to make the cut without eating up too much floor space.  Then I roll it back against the wall when I'm done. 

I could see getting a jointer to the same height not being worth the trouble, but I don't have one yet.  Nor do I have a bandsaw so that would be another bridge to cross when I get there. 

I'm not sure how flat my floor is in the shop either (its pretty small, about 12x20) but even if the tools were a little bit above the workbench that would probably work out ok.  Better than the bench being just higher and stock running into the face of it. 

Sorry about the hijack. 

2 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Gee, That is cool. Do you have an axel type device that goes from one side to the other?

Sorry for the threadjack bushwacked; hopefully this helps you too ;-)

The axle is made from two 5" white oak dowels on each side.  I added a second thickness of 3/4" ply as a sort of reinforcement block.  The dowel was waxed with Gulf Wax (like you might keep handy to wax your plane soles during use) about a decade ago and still spins nicely.

eye bolt detail.jpg

The dowel penetrates the flip-top frame which is around 1-1/4" thick (plus 3/4" of ply on each side).  One of the screws at each axle location that holds the removable top surface in place also retains the dowel:

FT-2-Top-Exposed.jpg

I made one of the top's surfaces removable to allow access to change t-nut or through-bolt patterns for different tools over time (a lucky decision as it turned out).

top change.JPG

• Like 2

Better opt for another piece of ply unless the drawing shown is less the kerf cut on all pieces? 21+21+6=48 without the cuts.

Well I was thinking of using the left overs as the drawers. They are going to get an oak face on them so I don't think the drawers being a tad smaller than 6" will be a huge deal ... right?

Something to consider when you buy your ply is to get the pre-finished stuff.  My place here carries both birch and maple pre-finished and they are all that much more the just plane old plywood.  Its better to work with looks good and you don't have to waste time putting finish on shop furniture.

Stepping out on a limb here. Can you provide an illustration of rabbiting a corner joint? I think I know. But say the bottom of his cabinet is 1" or so above the bottom of his sides and you cut a dado in the sides to receive it, will the glue hold with the bottom being pre-finished? 

Ken, the edges are just like regular ply so if you cut a dado or rabbet you are gluing to bare wood on the edge and the dado or rabbet.  I haven't had anything come undone... but I may walk out there to the shop one day and find everything in a pile on the floor. :D

• Like 1

first time using sketchup ... I had to stop at putting drawers on because for whatever reason it would fill in the whole drawer section. Not sure what I am doing wrong but it is very annoying! I am going to tinker with it some more but had to take a break because  it is angering me.

I did not figure out yet how to add 3" casters to it, but I am still looking into it ... so for now it is casterless but they will be there.

eb1u2p.jpg

33 minutes ago, bushwacked said:

first time using sketchup ... I had to stop at putting drawers on because for whatever reason it would fill in the whole drawer section. Not sure what I am doing wrong but it is very annoying! I am going to tinker with it some more but had to take a break because  it is angering me.

I did not figure out yet how to add 3" casters to it, but I am still looking into it ... so for now it is casterless but they will be there.

eb1u2p.jpg

A lot times when I create a project in Sketchup, I don't fuss with a lot of detail because the actual measurements come from the piece itself.  It can all look great in a drawing but, that doesn't always translate that way in the actual piece.

41 minutes ago, bushwacked said:

first time using sketchup ...

Sketchup has many best practices that are not readily apparent & this can cause big problems down the road if they are not followed.

A flip cart for my planer & sander is high on my list of shop projects as well.