First time chainsaw milling

Gixxerjoe04

Well after ordering my mill and chainsaw a few months ago finally got around to milling some lumber. Seemed I waited forever for chains and stuff to arrive, then needed other things I forgot, then wife had a baby, so didn't have much time.  Talk about a workout, but pretty cool payoff in a couple years that is haha.

Used my stihl ms880 with a 36" bar with an oregon ripping chain, cut the slabs 2.25" thick, they're 7 feet long and the widest point was around 32". Not sure what kind of wood it is, figured it was some type of oak, thoughts?

5B94B9C3-75B2-403A-A9D4-881769BC0A6E_zps

6C64B975-B332-4E7F-954D-C57B4B357748_zps

2A37D64E-DC14-473D-AA69-DF55C3331400_zps

E1E5CB7D-E568-4BA9-82A8-730B729CB9D6_zps

6225996D-7735-42A1-B4B5-392CE5FC2CBB_zps

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

That's cool Joe. How long did it take to mill each slab?

Not too long if I were to guess maybe 7 minutes, had a new chain, but it took awhile to get my mill and chainsaw set up.  Had to pull the log off a big pile of brush and get it right, setting it all up, then had a screw up with a nut came off the cover and had to take the bar off the mill to set it back up.  Ended up taking almost 3 hours haha, but like I said, first time doing it so a lot of sitting there looking at things wondering if I was doing it right.  Now I just need to find a supply of free fresh logs, thought about emailing some local tree services but will to bet I don't get a response haha.

1 minute ago, Gixxerjoe04 said:

Not too long if I were to guess maybe 7 minutes, had a new chain, but it took awhile to get my mill and chainsaw set up.  Had to pull the log off a big pile of brush and get it right, setting it all up, then had a screw up with a nut came off the cover and had to take the bar off the mill to set it back up.  Ended up taking almost 3 hours haha, but like I said, first time doing it so a lot of sitting there looking at things wondering if I was doing it right.  Now I just need to find a supply of free fresh logs, thought about emailing some local tree services but will to bet I don't get a response haha.

Call or visit in person, bring beer.  I doubt an email will get a response, but a guy with a 12 pack saying he'll haul off 10' logs so they don't have to might be welcomed. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MatthewCremona said:

Looks closer to maple to me.  The pictures don't look like the wood is open pored and those colors look like maple I have milled in the past.

I cut a small section off before milling and thought it was maple, then did the first cut and thought it looked like ash.  But the bark didn't look like ash, but thought the grain looked similar.  Would take a better close up pic but it's dark, here's a zoomed in pic from my phone. 

3B678D56-8917-4507-A3F2-DAEF010C1B60_zps

1 minute ago, xxdabroxx said:

Call or visit in person, bring beer.  I doubt an email will get a response, but a guy with a 12 pack saying he'll haul off 10' logs so they don't have to might be welcomed. 

Yea, problem is I need to buy a dang trailer, but yea calling would probably give me a better chance.  Plan on posting on craiglist and facebook.  There is always free wood posted from them having trees taken down and it just getting cut up into firewood size pieces, and most people who I've gotten wood from love to hear when it's not going to be firewood but made into stuff.  Hard part is just finding the people getting trees taken out before their trees get cut up into firewood.

On an arborist forum, guy thought it was kentucky coffee tree, which I've seen before and does look similar.